Part 1

Quintin knows of the rumors about the Girl of the Forest, but pays them no mind. They are only rumors, stories exaggerated. Besides, the tale is always different. Some say she was born with powers and destroyed her village, others say she was cursed and banished. But she doesn't exist, so it doesn't matter. But Quintin Luke Regazzini does.

Quintin, or Quinn, lives with his family in a small town called Lighthill, which is located on the outskirts of the country Marahue. He has a younger sister and three older brothers, all but one married. And that one that isn't married... Is engaged. Often times his family struggles to pay for food, not even mentioning the head taxes for Quinn and his sister; the only ones besides their mother still living in their rickety cottage. So his mother is constantly pushing Quinn to marry for money. Just like his sister. Who's literally five. When he was younger, Quinn looked up to his brothers like they were gods. He'd do their chores just to get them to say a sentence to him, and ignored his sister's pleas for attention. Now he makes sure he never forgets her or treats her the way his brothers treated him. It's a wonder they all got married.

His sister, Bridget, or Bri as Quinn sometimes calls her, was a little angel. She helped out whenever she could, no matter how she felt or what she was doing, knew when someone was depressed or unhappy, and was so far the prettiest five year old in Lighthill. She would surely grow to be a beauty. Quinn once saved ten silver coins he gained by offering work to the more noble families in town to buy her the precious doll she always carries around with her now for her birthday.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Quintin carried his sister back from Education on a cool, windy day. Her dirty red hair tickled his cheek as a heavier wind blew past. In her hand was the ragged doll he had bought her for her when she was four, only one year ago. The hair on the doll had clumps of dirt and a bit of cow manure in it, but was still well-combed. His sister prided herself in that. Although the doll was not the cleanest, she managed to still take care of it and keep it neat. The dress was blue when he bought it, but looked more brown now. Another breeze passed, and Bridget sneezed. It was a quiet sound, but held more meaning than any other loud noise in the world.

Sneezing was never good. Especially in the current weather. Sneezing meant someone could be catching a dangerous cold. Without enough financial support, Quinn's family could not afford any medicine for Bri that she may need if she was sick. Or any other family members, for that matter.

He patted the back of his sister's head softly. Her eyelids fluttered close, tired from a day of Education, though he had a feeling there was more to the weariness. He picked up his pace to a heavy run, and slammed the door closed tight to block out the frigid cold that always managed to seep through their walls somehow. He lay his sister down on her bed and began to help his mother prepare dinner.

"I think Bri may be getting a cold, " he began carefully. The news of sickness was never brought across well. His mother stopped what she was doing and leaned against the wall, an exasperated look on her face.

"And what causes you to believe that? "

"She has been sneezing and coughing for the last few days," he paused for a moment, then added on. "and with this weather..."His mother went back to slicing her all-famous raspberry and blueberry bread.

"You know we cannot afford a proper physician or medicine, so why bring such a topic up? "

"I have a fear that it is more than a cold, mother. I fear the worst." His mother snorted.

"The worst is that she has a cold! Too bad! Maybe I'll relieve her of her chores, but you," she wiggled her cutting knife at him. "You, young man, will have double the work to do." He nodded in compliance. He was expecting that. "Well then, run along and fetch me some grapes from the orchard. We'll need them for dinner. And while you're at it, Mr. Langthelby stopped by and gave me these letters. Run them down to the mailing room, they were sent to the wrong address."

"Yes, mother." He looked over at Bri in regret at not being able to help her with her sickness.

"Don't be a sitting duck! Run along now!" She waved him away. Quinn stumbled out the door as his mother sliced away at the loaf of bread. He sighed as he set off towards the town of Lighthill for the third time that day.