Chapter Twenty-Three

In the next few days, Rachel had a hard time focusing on training. Not only had Hector's kiss left her frazzled but also confused since he'd been avoiding her ever since.

She understood the fear of getting close to someone only to lose them but it didn't mean she wasn't slightly hurt by his reaction.

This morning, Racoon eyes was her partner again. She sported a fading black eye, one that Rachel had given her, which she used to scowl at her.

The practiced hand to hand combat and Rachel's punches keep missing.

Office Rodriguez came up besides Rachel and tapped her stomach.

"Swing from your core," she ordered.

The sound of the door opening drew Officer Rodriguez's attention away.

Blue mats appeared in the doorway, a pair of black boots peeking out from underneath.

"I was told you needed more training mats." The voice said and Rachel recognized it immediately as Hector. Her punch flew wild, connecting with the side of Racoon eyes' shoulder. Pain shot through her wrist.

Beside her, Officer Rodriguez tensed.

For a moment she appeared to be glued to the ground, her face turning from sun-kissed to ash white, her entire body going rigid.

"T-the mats?" She echoed.

"From the third training room. I was asked to bring them here."

Beside Rachel, Rodriguez sucked in a deep breath and though the haunted expression hadn't left her face, Rachel watched with curiosity as Rodriguez's boots carried her in Hector's direction.

With a moment's hesitation, and as the others continued to spare around them, Rodriguez reached out to take the mats obscuring Hector's face and tossed them to the side.

When Hector's face emerged, it suddenly clouded over with a shock that mirrored Office Rodriguez's. Identical masks of surprise stared back at one another; both of their tan complexions bleached by surprise.

"Y-Yalina?" He breathed.

"I can't believe it." Officer Rodriguez-whose name was apparently Yalina-muttered back. She reached up to stroke his cheek, her hand lingering on his face. "Your voice. I-I'd recognize it anywhere."

"What are you doing here?"

"Oh, mi cielo."* She continued just as a knot formed in Rachel's stomach. "You're alive."

"Yalina--"

"Class dismissed." Yalina barked, not even bothering to turn around.

Her eyes glued to Hector's face in a way that only further twisted the knot that had lodged itself in Rachel's stomach ever since she'd said his name.

Rachel sensed the others come to a stop, uncertainty dripping from them--and her.

"Go!" Yalina shouted.

Everyone filed out of the room, rubbing their sore muscles as they went.

Raccoon eyes even shot Rachel a hateful look as she passed.

Following the others reluctantly, Rachel was almost out of the room when she hesitated for a moment outside the door.

It was just in time to see Yalina throw herself into Hector's arms, her arms snaking around his neck. She couldn't see Hector's reaction, but she could see a look of pure joy on Yalina's face. 

"I can't believe it's really you!" She cried and then she crushed her lips to his mouth.

Pain raced through Rachel's chest.