Chapter Seven

Sharpe aching pains circulate through my body; a severe reminder of today's tiring events

Sharpe aching pains circulate through my body; a severe reminder of today's tiring events. Crazy children running amuck, stressed staff and now a dozen missed calls from my mother. If the house isn't on fire, I don't want to know about it. The only thing I need right now is a large glass of wine, a foot rub and some decent reality television to relax me.

I wander to my car, unlock the vehicle and take a seat. As I rest against the padded seating, my body sings with relief. My feet are no longer aching, but my stomach churns with nerves. Something must have gone wrong for her to ring me this many times.

On the second ring, the phone line cracks and there's people laughing in the background.

"Hello?"

A mother and her child walking through the car park shoot me an odd glance, but I shrug and look away from them.

"Ava, you finally picked up! I've been ringing you all afternoon," she scolds.

"You know, I was at this thing called work, you were so proud of me when I got the job." I laugh.

"Ah, that's right." She gasps. "How was your day at work?"

"Fine, the usual, but why have you called so much?" 

"So, Angela and I were on a wine tour today." There's more muffled laughing in the background which makes everything click; they're both pissed from the wine.

"Please tell me that-"

"Your father isn't impressed about the Uber bill, but we had fun, didn't we Angela?"

There's a crashing, inaudible sound and then the phone is passed to Angela. When those two team up, there's always a reason to be worried.

"On our adventure, we found the perfect venue for the engagement party. It's a beautiful winery that has a spectacular view of the orchards which is just, ugh, it's breathtaking. Just imagine all the wonderful pictures."

I imagine the pair sighing like lovesick fools.

"A beautiful orchard sounds expensive and we can't spring for something like that." I sigh. "Maybe shoot for something less expensive?"

"Don't worry about expenses, just come over and have a look for yourself. If you both like it, we'll have the party there. Your parents and I want to help you pay for this. You two both deserve it."

"Angela, please, no, you've already given us too much."

"One day, I hope you realise there's no such things as too much when it comes to family. We're like cats; we don't understand the concept of personal boundaries. Now, we're at your parent's house and Blake should be on his way over. Please come and have a look, we even have a few bottles of wine for taste testing."

There's no point fighting with Angela, I doubt she's ever heard the word 'no' in her life. 

"I'll be over soon."