Chapter Twenty-One - The Electric

Start from the beginning

"I'm not--I don't..." She stuttered out and despite Cole telling me to be silent, I butt in.

"We're like you, Mackenzie. We're called Supernaturals. You're not the only one capable of doing extraordinary things."

I knew she didn't believe me; it was written all over her face. That's when Cole took the initiative to spread his hands apart, creating a line of fire. Her golden eyes widened, her mouth formed incoherent words that never got out.

A little smirk spread across his face as the fire dissipated. I knew he enjoyed that initial shock he got out of us when he showed off his ability. "As said, you're definitely not the only one."

That's when he went onto explaining the concept of Supernatural Abilities, stressing the fact that she needs to go there with us to maintain her safety. I knew Cole had a little sister but I never knew how well he was at speaking to kids. He was careful with his word choice, making sure to get his point through but not enough to scare her with unneeded information. She listened intently, not speaking a single word, until he asked her about what she thought about all of this.

"It's..." she started, pursing her lips as she thought about what she had to say. "It's surprising."

"Yeah, tell me about it," I muttered and Cole elbowed me.

"I cannot stress just how much you need to come with us. If you don't, you're risking not only your life but Miss Valerie's down there as well," he told her. "You'll learn so many things there. You'll be able to control your powers and use it to help you."

She was quiet for a bit, taking in all the information that had been handed to her today. She finally looked to me, her eyes disbelieving. "Do you do anything cool?"

I resisted the urge to laugh at her question. In order to show her that I also had powers, I zeroed in on the bed she was sitting on and made it rise a few feet. A little shriek escaped her mouth and when I brought back down to the ground, she looked much more excited than before, knowing that she now knew this was all real.

"Wow!" She exclaimed, jumping up and down. "This is so cool."

"So, what do you say, Mackenzie. Will you come to Supernatural Abilities?" Cole asked and she immediately began nodding.

"Yes! You two can do some crazy things. I thought I was the only one! I mean, the fire thing was nice but lifting the bed without even touching it? Wow."

I smirked over at Cole who rolled his eyes at me. He told me just to sit there and look pretty, but I definitely was the one who won this girl over.

"Then you should get packing right now," Cole told her. "We need to leave as soon as possible."

She nodded and went to grab a small backpack that had been discarded in the corner of her room. Considering how she had just moved in her a few days ago, there was not much that needed packing. Most of her clothes were still in their bags, so she mostly needed to gather some toiletries and personal items that she had put out.

We went back downstairs where Valerie was looking anything but surprised to see that Mackenzie was coming with us. The little girl walked over to her and gave the woman a big hug.

"Thank you for taking care of me, Miss Valerie," she said into her shirt.

"Of course, dear," her caretaker responded. "Now come back and visit when you're stronger," she winked and the girl looked surprised that she had known about her power.

"Okay, let's go now," Cole urged, taking some of Mackenzie's bags and whisking us out the door before wishing Ms. Watkins a thank you and a farewell. Her things fit easily into the trunk and soon the three of us were back on the road without any issues with Catchers or crazy strong Electric powers.

Along the way, Mackenzie kept asking us a million questions much like what I did. Hers were a bit different from mine had been and more around what people could do. We didn't tell her that her power of electricity was unique as we didn't want her to feel any more of an outcast than she already did and would be once she knew of the Big Six.

Her excitement seemed to grow with every sentence we said. I know Cole made it seem more fun than completely dangerous to be a Supernatural, but I couldn't help but feel happy that someone was excited about this trip. However, we got the complaining only an hour into the drive.

"I'm hungry," Mackenzie informed us and Cole and I looked at each other.

"Can you wait a few hours? We want to put some ground behind us," Cole asked and I saw her shake her head from the corner of her eye.

"But I'm starving," she exaggerated. The two of us chose ignore her but when she kept on badgering us, we all found ourselves at a small diner per Mackenzie's choice.

We ordered and sat at our booth in the corner. We usually got fast food or something else that allowed us to stay in the car but the Electric was very adamant about going here.

"So where do people sleep?" Mackenzie asked, sitting on her hands.

"You get a roommate," Cole informed her, his hand holding up his head while his eyes searched the area. I know being out in the open, even if we were in a small town, unnerved him.

Mackenzie's eyes widened. "Like a sleepover? I've never had one of those!"

"Well, that's all there is there so you got to live with it once it gets old too," he grumbled and I kicked his leg from under the table. We needed her to be excited about this, rather than the latter. If she got too sad or scared, she could eventually blow up yet again. Everyone knows I have from time to time.

We finally got our food and ate with Mackenzie's chatter filling the silence. For a girl who had accidentally killed her parents, this is not the kid I expected to pick up on this journey. I finally had to excuse myself to the bathroom to get some peace and quiet before we set off towards Supernatural Abilities. It was pretty late now, so the sooner we left, the better.

After doing my business and washing my hands, I stepped out of the bathroom to hear some yelling coming from the outside. Because the restrooms were in a secluded corner in the diner, there was an emergency exit with a glass door. While the sun was just nearly down, i could still make out a man kicking another who was on ground. Without thinking, I stepped outside.

"Hey! Stop hurting him!" I yelled, anger flowing through my veins. Even though I fight people on a daily basis at SA, seeing someone hurt another person without reason pissed me off. When the attacker turned around, my blood turned cold. Their pitch black eyes focused on me while a large, toothy smile spread across their face.

And that's how I found myself looking into the eyes of a Catcher.

_______________

I have a favor to ask of you. Can you guys write some first and last names below, both boys and girls, for me to use for minor characters in future chapters? I have the hardest time coming up with names and I would love to have some to pick from.

As always, thank you for the support! I actually had my FIFTH wattpad anniversary this past week which is absolutely crazy!