Inhospitable

I can't breathe. I'm suspended in a thick goo. I open my mouth to try to find some air, but I get a mouthful of the foul-tasting swamp I'm in. I try to open my eyes but they're glued shut. My brain attempts to move my muscles. I'm trapped. Is this how I'll die? I don't panic at the thought, which I find disturbing.

And then I feel something pulling me to the surface. As soon as my mouth clears the surface, I try to take a breath. Only nothing happens. My lungs don't work on this planet. My body is able to move and I open my eyes to find myself looking into a command post. Two alien commanders are at the controls. Joe stands next to them. I squirm as the mechanical arms pull me inside a capsule.

I'm placed in a white room where I'm finally able to gasp for air. It takes some time for my breathing to calm down as I float in the gravity-less space. I'm covered in the thick substance from the swamp.

"Emma, everything will be okay." It's Joe's voice. I can't see him. "We're on a planet far from Earth. You'll be safe here. You're in an oxygen room. It will slowly ween you off of oxygen and allow you to breathe the atmosphere of this planet. Because your lungs are half-human, we need to make sure they can handle the transition. As soon as the transition is complete, we can bring you inside. Rest for now. It may be a few hours."

I close my eyes and fall fast asleep. I have vivid dreams of flying all over the universe amongst the stars. I stop and look down on Earth. It's beautiful - with the oceans and continents enveloped by clouds. I can't believe how small it looks from up here. I explore the universe, feeling free and alive. 

When I finally open my eyes, I feel like I've been run over by a truck. An alarm goes off and I hear running outside the door. The lock to the room releases and the door opens. I'm too weak to move. Joe picks me up. 

"Hey there, how do you feel?"

"I ache all over."

"I know. It will take time for your muscles to work without oxygen. The good news is it looks like your lungs have transitioned properly. We can give you something for the soreness."

"If it's anything like that muck I fell into, I'm not interested" 

"Haha, no, it's an elixir for the pain. Not mucky at all."

Joe carries me out of the white chamber. I look down and scream. There's nothing between us and the mucky swamp below us. I feel my airways constrict.

"What the hell? Are we walking on air? How is this possible?" I cling to Joe's neck.

"Don't worry, there's an invisible walkway. You won't fall in."

"Oh my God. Way to stop a girl's heart. Why is it invisible?"

"Trendy design."

"They're trendy on other planets? Great, just great." Joe keeps walking until we reach a single door.

"What's behind this mysterious door," I ask.

"Let's find out." Joe pushes open the door to reveal a labyrinth of hallways.

"Do you know where you're going?" I ask him.

"Sort of."

"That's  not very convincing."

"They showed me where to go. But now I'm not so sure."

"Do you want to put me down?"

"Your muscles may not be ready."

"I'd like to try. Being a damsel in distress all the time is getting old." 

Joe tries to set me down on my feet but I crumple to the ground. He leans over to pick me back up.

"We'll try that again later." I sigh as I put my arms around Joe's neck. I lean my head on his shoulder, feeling his heart beating. The feminist side of me doesn't want to admit that I like having Joe as my protector. 

"Which hallway do you want to try?" he asks.

"That one." I point down a hallway that looks like it goes on forever. Joe starts walking.

"I'm expecting Darth Vadar to walk out any moment. Where are we? Starship Enterprise?"

"You just referenced two completely different stories." 

"Star Wars. Star Trek. They're the same to me."

"You've just shattered every space nerd's heart."

"Yeah, but I'm really in space now. I'm sure they'll forgive me not knowing the difference between Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker. So where is everyone?"

"They're discussing what to do about our situation."

"Which one? The fact that we just showed up on their planet or the fact that I have a crazy half-brother intent on taking over the Universe?"

"Both."

"When do I get to meet them?"

"As soon as we find them." We both laugh.

"This may seem like a silly question. But does this planet have water? Because I smell like someone's rear end and feel like it too."

Joe stops in front of the first door we reach. He pushes it open to reveal a world within a world. There's grass and sky and houses and people running around. I look closely. It's not just any world. It's my world. My neighborhood. My friends. My school.

"What the hell?" I stare in awe.

"Looks like there's water," Joe says. He and I just stare down at the world I was once a part of. Things are getting stranger and stranger.