Gone For Too Long

Athena X Reader requested by Homura_Akemi

And just on a short notice, if you guys have a problem with girl x girl pairing, go somewhere else. If you put any negative comments in the bottom section of this I swear to God I will report them even if it does little good. Be respectful please, that's all I have to say.

Unedited

~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been three weeks, too long, not even a phone call or message was sent to you to let you know Athena was alright.  You paced furiously around the garage where you kept your work station; tools, monitors and paper covered your once empty space, littered with letters and a draftbox full of unsent letters on your computer.  You knew your partner was working and that you didn't want to disturb her, but she would have called by now, but she hadn't sent any form of communication and you were scared to death.

Scooter watched as you continued to pace, you were making him tired just watching you, but he was also concerned for you, he never liked to see his friend like this.  He'd always try to say something to console you about Athena's absence, but all you'd do is give him a faint smile and then begin to worry again.

"Don't worry about Athena (y/n)," Scooter would say, "she'll be fine."

All you could do was wait, and rid yourself of all the bad thoughts of what could possibly happen to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This trip seemed endless, it was longer than Athena had anticipated.  She was beyond exhausted. . . damn Brutes.  But the one thing that bothered her the most than her physical and mental state, was you.  Her messaging device strapped onto her arm was damaged from falling because of a blow from a Badass Psycho.  Knowing how you were when she wouldn't be home in time, she was prepared for a lecture, a good earful of your worries about her.  But all that meant you cared, and it warmed her heart when after all that happened, the two of you would hug and just stay in each other's company to make up time.

Expecting to see you awake and waiting, Athena entered the living room to see you curled up in an arm chair, fast asleep.  You were waiting for her, waiting for her to come home, waiting to finally hold her after her three week absence.  She watched you for a moment before walking quietly and slowly over to you to lightly touch your cheek, a smile forming on her face as she watched you wrinkle your nose for a slight second.  

But then a pang of guilt formed in her stomach; had you been coming out here those whole three weeks just to wait for her to come home?  And to think that when you woke up thinking you would see her sitting on the couch reading, only to be saddened to see you were alone?  The thought alone made her stomach turn, the guilt building up the more she thought about it.

Athena gently scooped you up in her arms and went for the bedroom to lay you down.  Then silently as she could she removed her armor and slipped into some pj's, climbing in beside you and pulling the covers over your body.  She had almost forgotten what a bed felt like; warm and fluffy, much better than sleeping on dirt.  Plus there was no you there when she woke up.

Athena watched you for a moment before she scooted closer to give you a long kiss on your forehead, then wrapping her arm around you to finally get comfortable.  She was able to sleep now, knowing you would be there when she woke up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You woke to rustling of sheets; you thought it was you and that you were half awake of sorts, so you rubbed your eyes and opened them.  When they did open however, they remained that way for quite a while before you ever went back to sleep.

There beside you, sleeping soundly, was Athena.  You tried your best not to just jump on her, excitement quickly filled your body as you watched her, but you knew that this must have been the best sleep she had gotten in a while so you contained yourself, at least until morning, then you would shower her with affection and kisses.

But for now, you placed your hand on her cheek and ran your thumb over one of her scars, thankful she wasn't hurt at all.  You noticed a slight smile form on her face at your touch, and it made your heart melt.  You wanted to cry, but surely your sniffling would wake her so you held your breath as much as you could.

Snuggling up to her and feeling Athena wrap her arms tightly around you, you too were able to sleep soundly now, knowing your partner was alive and within reach.  

Scooter was right, she is tough, she knows how to handle herself, and she always comes home.  The thought of it put you into a soft slumber.  Athena was sure to know how much you missed her once the two of you woke up that morning.