~69~

The bathroom smelled of ylang ylang and tea tree as Hades soaked in the bath. With any luck, he would smell good enough to eat when Lexi got home. He ached to have her close, to feel the warmth of her skin, to hear the melody of her voice, to taste her sweetness. Their relationship was still in its genesis, and yet he felt as if he had hardly lived before she came into his life. Persephone had enticed him with her beauty, and her love kept him from sinking into despair, but theirs had become a cordial relationship. The distractions were too great to nurture a romance. It was doomed before it even began. Would Lexi's fate prove fatal for their love as well?

He reached for his towel and wrapped himself as he stepped out of the tub. After an hour of relaxation, he still had not come up with a sensible strategy for helping Lexi fulfill her duties in the underworld. She had spoken of helping him with the souls, but that was not her job. Eventually, her gifts would languish and she would resent it. She could attend to the needs of the living inhabitants of the underworld, becoming more involved with the centaurs and satyrs, possibly even the minotaurs once they straightened out the matter of the hunt. Would that be enough to make her happy long term?

Still dripping, Hades walked into his chamber, breathing in the pleasant scent of patchouli. The nymphs had done an excellent job of tidying up the room and ridding the smell of flatulence from it. He stood in front of his wardrobe, assessing the most appropriate attire for welcoming home his love. Should he go for the look of an eighteenth century English gentleman? The men dressed smartly during that era. He could wear his smoking jacket, the one he had received from a wealthy eccentric. It would be the easiest to get out of should Lexi want to divest him of it upon her arrival. He felt his manhood stiffen at the thought of Lexi on her knees, taking him into her mouth. Or, perhaps, it was the chill coming off the window that had caused it.

The tinkling of bells drew his attention toward the scrying mirror on the other side of the room. Was it Lexi letting him know she was preparing to come home? He abandoned his wardrobe and walked to the mirror. If he stood close enough, he could hide the fact that he was unclothed, and if it was Lexi, he could show her what she had to look forward to. He pressed his hand to the glass, unlocking the magic, and an image slowly took shape in front of him. He knew right away it was not Lexi. Her chin was not covered by a bushy beard, and she never wore such a fierce scowl as the one staring back at him.