Ch. 5 - The Unexpected Spark

Chapter 5

*RECAP*

And there sitting on the bleachers right where he said he would be, is Jess. But instead of waiting for me...he is sitting there with some random chick with his arm around her waist. What the fuck! That stupid jackass...saying he wants to talk about us and then going off and flirting with some stupid girl. Whatever, I'm so over this! I think to myself as I turn around.

-----------------------------------------------

I head back into the locker room and sit down on a bench. God why I am even letting him get to me? I should just go out there and act like he doesn't even affect me. Yes...that's what I'll do. I grab my stuff and walk out back to the gym. I see Lindsey and while walking to her, I pass Jess. DO NOT LOOK AT HIM. I say to myself in a scolding tone. HE IS NOT WORTH IT. I continue walking when I hear him speak.

"Braine, come sit next to me." Jess says using his hand to motion himself to me, causing the girl who's in his arms to glare at me with annoyance.

I turn to him and shrug saying, "Nah...I'm good, maybe another time." I see his cocky exterior waver for a moment as he looks at me confused. I shrug my shoulders again and continue walking to where Lindsey is sitting.

I reach her, sit down and take out my composition notebook.

"Braine...what just happened?" Lindsey turns to me asking.

"Nothing, I just realized that Jess is just not my type. Plus I have way too much to focus on right now...a boy will just mess things up. Also...I think he'll survive seeing as he has like 50 girls just in our grade pining after him." I say shaking my head.

"Are you sure...I thought I saw you guys kind of connect earlier today?"

"Linds, I've only known him for like 4 hours...if I do end up dating this year, I want to allow myself to get to know all the guys...not just one. I mean there are 100's of guys available to us now. I don't want to confine myself. You know?" I say to her trying to make her understand.

"I think that's a very reasonable reason." She says smiling then laughing at what she just said.

"yes, I think it is a very reasonable reason too." I say joining in with her laughter.

I smile and begin flipping through my composition book. I love to sing...its one of my hobbies, so I tend to write lyrics/songs whenever I get stressed or just need an outlet to chill.

I begin to write and suddenly its lunch time.

"You ready?" Lindsey asks me.

"No, but how about I meet you outside in 5 minutes. I'm going to go drop off my stuff and get some food."

"Ok. Meet us under the tree."

"Alright, see you there."

I walk out to the hallway and go to my locker. As I open my locker I start to hum the song I just composed. I begin putting my stuff in when I hear someone behind me. I spin around and there standing in front of me is Chase, the guy from earlier this morning.

"Oh please don't let me stop you; your voice is beautiful even when you're just humming."

I begin laughing loudly and then stop when I realize he's looking at me like I belong in a mental institution.

"I'm sorry, did I say something funny?" chase asks me skeptically.

I start giggling again "oh no, it's just...well that was kinda cheesy." I begin laughing again. "I guess I'm not used to people giving me compliments...it weird's me out a bit." I say to him smiling, shaking my head.