Chapter 11

Eleven.

Maika stood there with the most adorable smile on his face. He had long locks of tousled black hair that fell into his eyes and brushed along the nape of his neck, and the most leafy green eyes I had ever seen. He and his brother were the only people who had green eyes. Well the only two that I’ve seen on this island.

“What’re you doing here by yourself?” He asked, grabbing a soda and coming to stand beside me.

Well I couldn’t deny that he was gorgeous. And his black vest only enhanced his muscles, making it even more difficult not to stare. His amazingly tan skin glowed in the light that came from small tiki torches and tea lights that were hung everywhere.

“Just needed to get the feel of the party. If that makes sense.” I replied laughing.

We fell into easy conversation. And I realized he was a lot like me. And we shared most of the same interests. He liked to read, I liked to read. He and I both hated mustard. With him being allergic, and me just hating the tangy taste. He and his twin brother were insanely athletic and was on almost every single team in school.

We had moved from sodas to beers, and I was getting a little buzzed. I did drink on occasion. And I could hold my alcohol pretty well. I had gone through four beers when I felt the need for a bathroom break.

“I’ll be right back. Wait here?” I asked.

“Sure.” Maika said, while grabbing another beer. I made my way to the back door of Sam’s house when I saw Sam himself coming out.

 “Hey, Ava. Having a good time?” He asked with a bright smile. I thought that was very sweet of him to ask.

 “Yeah I am. Thanks for asking me to come. Um, mind pointing out the bathroom?” I asked with a sort of shy voice.

“Since you’re not just anybody, you get to go upstairs, in the off limits area.” He laughed.

“Up the stairs and the first door on your left.” He said as I saw Cady waving to him from the tables outside.

“It’s not really that hard to find. Just come look for me if you need anything. Or find Cady, Leia, or the twins.” His eyes were sparkling with a somewhat distracted look in them. He couldn’t keep his eyes off of his girlfriend.

“Thanks, I will. Go enjoy your party.” I told him with a wink, and made my way in Sam‘s house.

His house was pretty spacious. And the beige walls gave the house a sort of warm and calming feeling. There were pictures of Sam, and who I assumed to be his parents all over the walls leading up to a flight of stairs. They were in random places. I climbed the stairs taking in my surroundings and noticed it was quieter up here, with the music sounding more muffled than anything.

I was walking out of the bathroom when I bumped into someone.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t see you there.” I said. But my apology was cut short when I saw that it was Keanu who I bumped into. He had a huge grin on his face, and a look of relief? Like he was relieved he found someone to talk to.

Then it dawned on me that he was here, at the party. With other people who shut him out and avoided him like the plague. Needless to say I was surprised.

“Hey, I didn’t know you were coming.” I said. I felt a little guilty, like I should have asked him to go with me. But I shook the feeling away.

“I kind of had to come.” I didn’t understand what he meant by that. He grinned at my confused expression and said,

“Sam’s my cousin. You know that aunt I live with, well she is his mother. And she got him this place.”

Understanding passed through me, and I was happy that he came, regardless if Sam was his cousin or not. He deserved to take a break from brooding and sulking all the time.

“I’ll see you around,” He said, his smile becoming a smirk. He walked off before I could ask him to come down.

And just like that I was tossed to the side, like a toy left on a shelf to collect dust, because a shiny new one was there to take my place. And I watched him walk down the stairs, and into the crowd, losing sight of him all together. I tried to shake the feelings off, by putting on my best smile and walking back down to find Maika.

I was going to make the most of this night.

After that little conversation with Weirdo, Maika and I had a few more drinks. I was just more buzzed than before.

“You’re really pretty, Ava. I didn’t have enough courage to tell you before.” Makia’s words were the sweetest, even if they were the words of beer. He was still one of the most caring people at this party, and even though he was buzzed like me, he didn’t try anything stupid. I looked over to my left, and I saw him. Keanu, with his arms around some girl, who was amazingly beautiful.

It bothered me a lot that he was dancing with a girl. And I wondered why I was so jealous. It was probably the closeness of their bodies, dancing in time with the beat of the music. Or the way she whispered things in his ear and he laughed back. Or maybe because he was so extremely hot, gorgeous, sexy even and he had someone who was able to keep up with his appearance.

I felt insignificant, despite what Maika just told me. He saw the sudden change in my expression and grabbed two more beers and two tequila shots.

“Wanna take a shot with me?” He asked, and smiled his adorable smile that showed a dimple in his cheek. His green eyes now bleary with the alcohol running through his veins.

“Why the hell not?” I laughed as we clinked the shot glasses together and downed our shots. The tequila burned its way down my throat, and I grabbed another one just for the hell of it.

We had about three more beers when the alcohol was finally hitting me.

 “Wanna dance?” Maika asked. Before the beers I would’ve said no, but because I vowed to enjoy myself and break out of my shell for once, I agreed.

He pulled me close to him, too close for my comfort. But I didn’t mind. All I was feeling was the way his body moved to the music and trying to make my own do the same. We danced slowly and even though I was drunk, I was having a good time. I looked over to see Keanu eyeing me dancing with Maika, and a flustered almost angry expression on his face.

I turned back to Maika and kept dancing, feeling the music fill my ears, and taking control of my thoughts. I turned so that I was facing away from Maika, and saw Leia on the steps talking to Mikale. I had to remember to tease her about her crush later.

I felt arms wound their way around my waist and my back crashed into someone‘s firm chest. I turned around shocked that Maika would do something like that, only to find out that it wasn’t Maika.

He pulled me even closer still, while dancing and brought his lips by my ear.

 “I couldn’t watch him dance with you any longer.” He whispered. I shivered, secretly thrilled by this.

“Why did you wait so long to come then?” I asked him back while pulling away from him. He brought his arms around me once more, almost forcefully pulled me back to him and turning me to face him.

“Dance with me.” He was drunk too, I could tell and he thought I was going to leave. I couldn’t at this point, even if I wanted to.

“Okay” I told him and pressed my palms to his chest, moving in time to the beat of the song. A slow song came on, and he pulled me closer to him. I felt the heat smoldering me, and every move he made just made me burn.

 “What about your friend?”

He pulled back to see whether I was joking around or not, and he nodded towards the table that was behind me. I looked and saw that she was getting pretty comfortable with Maika. ‘Well, how convenient’ I thought, as I turned back to Keanu, who only tightened his hold around me.

“You are so beautiful, Ava.”

His voice was enough to drive me insane. He brought his lips to my neck and began nibbling. I breathed in his scent, running my hands through his long hair. I couldn’t get enough of him. I couldn’t bring myself to tear away from him, even if I tried.

Then he raised his lips to meet mine, and the fire shot through me, warming every inch of my body. His lips moved with mine perfectly. The kiss shattered any thought that was coming to mind. And all too soon, he pulled away. Panting for breath, I placed my arms around his neck and laid my head on his chest. Taking in the moment. My lips tingling.

And Leia’s voice ruptured the moment followed by her constant tugging on my arm.

“Ava, its 12:15! We were supposed to meet fifteen minutes ago!”

Shit!

It took almost twenty minutes to get back to my house. I pulled away all too soon from Keanu, who still had a grip around my waist.

 “I’ll call you, I promise.” I told him. I stretched to my tiptoes and pecked him lightly on the lips, before I ran to catch up with Leia.

I was praying that I would make it home before curfew. Because if I didn’t, lets just say I wouldn’t see the daylight for a long, long time.