Chapter eight

For Three straight weeks Damien and I have not said a word to one another. After our small conversation outside the office door Damien seemed to change. On Tuesday Damien still talked to me but was more closed off. I asked him if he was okay he only shrugged and responded with the occupational"I'm fine," but we both knew he wasn't fine. I know Damien and the way he acted was not his usual cocky self.

At least he spoke to me that day later on it became short answers and after that it was just small gestures. Until he just stopped completely. When I questioned him about it he just stared blankly into my eyes and didn't utter a word. I tried to figure out if I had done something wrong or if someone did something to him. I wanted to help but I guess he didn't want me to help him. He didn't even answer me when I apologized even though I didn't know what I had done to make him change.

Whenever I would see him in the hall and he saw me he did everything to avoid. If he saw me coming he would turn around and disappear into the crowded hall. I know it seems impossible, him being six feet and could basically be labelled as a walking building but he managed. If I watched him off guard in the hall and he saw me getting to close he would turn and grab the first girl he found and basically make out with her. This would make me stop in my tracks and turn away.

In class it was no different. He forced Blake to move back to the seat next to me and he took back his old seat. Whenever I would turn and try to catch his attention he either looked straight ahead, turned away, or glared at his desk.

You think I would be grateful of being rid of his annoying ass for a change, but I'm not and the scary part is I don't know why. He started to show me a side of him I never though existed. The sweet side of him where for once he didn't think about himself. Or doesn't feel like it's his job to make my life a living hell. But that side is gone now. Replaced with one of stone. And I for one don't like this new side. It feels so cold and distant. I would rather have his annoying, cocky, side I have grown use to.

I couldn't even enjoy thanksgiving with my parents because all I could think about was Damien. They kept asking me multiple times if I was fine and if there was anything wrong. I kept telling them everything was fine that I was just thinking about finals and stuff for school.

"Miss. Johnson," Mrs. Clarkson called out.

I looked up at her, "what?" I asked confused.

"I was asking you-" the bell rang. "Never mind," she said with a sigh.

"Class don't forget to turn in your permission slips for the winter camping trip next week. Don't forget to study for finals which are starting tomorrow!" Mrs. Clarkson called out to the class as they walked out.

Embarrased I stood up and grabbed my stuff. This wasn't the first time in these few weeks I had zoned out and made a fool of myself. Last week it was in the middle of me solving a problem in front of the class. When I zoned out I had accidentally written Damiens name on the white board. It was very awkward and humiliating when Mr. Ramos told me that Damien wasn't the answer to the problem. To make matters worse my friends began to tease me about it and Conner just glared at my general direction for the rest of the period. Walking out the door a hand grabbed my arm. I turned with a small smile hoping to finally be able to once more talk to Damien instead I was met with the person I least wanted to talk to, Conner.

I pulled my arm away and began to walk towards my next class when he stopped me once more.

"Skylar please listen to me," he begged.

I took a sharp intake of breath and kept walking. People seemed to turn and look at us.

"Skylar don't do this to me, please," Conner's voice trembled as he said my name.