Chapter 61

"My God Hunter, these are truly disgusting." I say, my nose screwed up at the smell emitting from him.

I quickly clean up my son before I put the diaper in the plastic bag, replacing it with a clean one. He blinks lazily as he looks up at nothing in particular and I can't help the massive smile that covers my face. I quickly button him back up into his onesie and I lift him up, "Hello my handsome boy." I smile brightly.

I gently lay him over my shoulder as I turn and walk out of the room. I gently pat his back as I walk down the stairs into the kitchen, getting myself a glass of water. I hear him making noises in my ear and I smile to myself as I quickly down the water and place the cup in the sink. The house is fairly empty, everyone off and doing their own thing. Belle went with Rosita and Eugene to weapons practice. I want her to be able to use a weapon, to be able to protect herself when no one is there.

I look at the time and see it is late afternoon and I turn to Hunter, "How does a walk sound little man?" I ask.

He makes a noise and I chuckle, "Come on."

I walk back upstairs and grab over the shoulder baby carrier from our supplies. I lay him down on the bed and tie up my hair quickly before I lift him up and into the carrier, him nestling in perfectly against my chest. I smile and walk to my bedside table, grabbing my gun and knife. I turn and make my way downstairs and out of the house. The sun is nice and warm and I close my eyes briefly and take it in before I open them and continue walking.

I hear the sounds of the walkers surrounding the place and an unsettling feeling comes over me. I just wish Daryl was back, I'd feel so much better. I also wish Glenn was back, he and I have gotten close over the past few years and he means so much to Maggie. I know they will be back, they have to be. They're both strong and brave and they'll help us get rid of all the walkers and then Daryl will finally be able to meet his son. I look down at Hunter and gently run my finger over his forehead with a smile.

"Hayley!"

I look up and see Deanna walking towards me with a big smile on her face, "Deanna, how are you?" I ask, noticing that she is noticeably more cheerful then when I last saw her.

She nods her head with a tight smile, "I'm feeling a lot better."

"That's good, I'm glad to hear it." I say with a smile.

She stops beside me and peers over at Hunter, "So this is the little miracle we've all been waiting to meet?" She asks, awe in her voice.

I nod my head, "Yes, Deanna this is Hunter."

"What a beautiful name, a reflection of his father." She says, reaching up and stroking the side of his face.

I smile an her analysis and she beams down at him, "He is so lucky, he'll get to see what this place will become after all of this."

I look away from my son towards her and nod after a moment, "Yeah, he will."

She smiles and looks at him for a moment more before stepping back and looking up at me, "I must hurry on, I've got to give these to Rick. But I'll see you later on, perhaps get the chance to hold the little angel myself?"

I nod my head, "Of course."

She smiles, "Goodbye Hayley."

"Bye Deanna." I smile at the older woman.

She turns and heads off back towards the place we came and I can't help but stare after her. Only yesterday she was distant and cold, not wanting to speak a word to anyone here. Now it's as if she is back to normal and I can't help but wonder what happened during that time to make her feel differently.