Chapter 5: Tangled in a Web of Lies

Later that day, Mr. Bhatawdhekar came to the Khan residence for his inspection, as promised. Dilshad told him that the sagaai had been postponed due to family problems. She explained that Ayaan's sagaai happened to be the same day and that there was a problem at that event. He was skeptical, but decided that she was telling the truth, seeing how distraught she looked.

Zoya could hear Mr. Bhatawdekhar's voice in the hall. Yes. This is the best way. There will be no turning back this way. She quickly changed, wiped her tears, and slipped out of her window. She made her way to the front of the house as fast as she could, and cut her way in front of Mr. Bhatawdekhar.

"Ms. Zoya Farooqui? Aap theek hai? Dekhie mein kaide + kanoon ka bhout hi sakht admih hoon. Aapko kuch khaina hai?" He looked her suspiciously.

"Mr. Bhat- Bhatwa- " she started.

"Bhatawdekhar!" he finished for her. For the umpteenth time, he thought to himself.

"Vahi. Dekhie. Mujhe aapse kuch khena hai. Ji. Lekin aap mujhse promise kije ki aap meri puri baat sunenge, aur phir kuch bholenge. Kyun ki yeh bohut hi lambhi kahani hai," clarified Zoya. "Aapko aapke sare sawalon ka yawab mile ga," she assured him.

* * * * * * *

"I had come to India on a mission. To find my abuu. I wanted to know why he left me and my ammi when I was only 3 years old. I had heard from a source that he was alive and in Bhopal and so I came to look for him and my Aapi and Jeeju insisted I stay with Mr. Khan and his family." Her eyes started watering at the thought of Mr. Khan, but she swallowed and continued. "Mr. Khan was always against me living in this house. He thought I was badtameez, irresponsible and azaad khayal and judged me from day one because of my clothes. In the last few months a lot has happened between Mr. Khan and I. We have built an understanding. Not a friendship, but something similar. Or so I thought. And he helped me find my abuu. He was not alive, but I got a sense of relief, knowing that he didn't voluntarily leave me. Mr. Khan was there for me, like he has been many times before." She paused. "Any questions so far?," she asked him.

"Nahin. Go on." instructed Mr. Bhatawdekhar, engrossed in her tale. 

"After I found out my reason for coming to India was complete, I saw no reason to stay. To make matters worse, you rejected my visa extension. Mr. Khan gave me a letter of employment to tell me to stay back, in his own Akdu way. Again, so I thought at the time. But his office was not informed, and therefore you deemed me a culprit and a liar." She saw him cringe at her use of words. Good, she thought. At least now he knows the truth. Well, almost.

"Now about the sagaai," she continued, "it was my idea. When the chicken pox idea didn't work, I whispered to Mr. Khan to tell you that we were getting engaged. He had nothing to do with it. In fact he wanted to tell you the truth the from the beginning. But I wanted to stay back because I was under the impression that Mr. Khan didn't want me to go. But that man is more complicated than a Rubix cube and has no solution. He never knows what he wants and always does the opposite of what he feels. I now have no reason to stay back in India. And I will come willingly with you the airport, but I have two conditions."

Mr. Bhatawdekhar was dumbfounded. This girl... she's coming clean? And putting conditions? Interesting.

"Mein sun raha hoon," agreed Dhurandar.

"Mr. Khan will not be accused or charged with anything. Nor will his family. They simply wanted to help me and therefore are innocent by standers. And Mr. Khan was forced against his will to lie. So he is innocent in this matter as well."

Mr. Bhatawdekhar thought about this. I suppose he's not the real culprit. But why does she still want to defend him, when she seems to have been gravely hurt by him? "Hmm Theek hai. Manzoor hai. Second condition?" he inquired.

"You will not inform my Phoopi, Najma or Mr. Khan that I am leaving the country. I will tell them on my own. And I will not leave until tomorrow, as I have some unfinished business with the family." She smiled sadly, thinking of how she could possibly say goodbye to Phoopi and Najma, now that she was definitely leaving, possibly for good. As for Mr. Khan. She would be glad if she never saw him again. And this was her gift to him. A life free of the biggest musibaat to cross his path.

Yeh ladki bhagne ki koshish to nahi karri? Hmm nahi, she wouldn't have told me the sagaai was a sham. "Theek hai, Ms. Farooqui. Mujhe aapki shartein manzoor hain. Kal main aapko yaha se lene aoonga."

"Nahin!" retorted Zoya. If he comes here in the morning, they'll know that I'm leaving and will insist on coming to the airport. Or worse, make up another lie, mere khathir.

"Nahin?"

"Nahin. Mein aaj ki raat kisi hotel mein reh loongi. Aur aap usi hotel par mujhe lene ayenge. Kyun ki agar aap ghar par aye, to une pata chalega ki mein ja rahi hoon. Manzoor hai?" she asked, confirming their deal.

"Yeh baat to sahi hai. Dekhie mein kaide + kanoon ka bohut hi sakht admi hoon. Aur mujhe khushi hai ki aap apne zubhan se sachaai bata rahi hain. Lekin mujhe ek baat samaj me nahin ayi. Aap Mr. Khan ke liye rukne ki koshish kar rahi thi. To phir achanak aap jana kyun chati hain?" Something isn't right,thought Dhurandar. She was willing to lie to the law to stay back for this man, and now she wants to leave? That too without telling him?

"Dekhie, Mr. Bhat-, Bhatwak-" started Zoya again.

"BHATAWDEKHAR. Bhatawdekhar. Kitni bar bol na pare ga." he said, exasperated.

"Jo bhi ho. What my reasons are, aren't important. All you need to know is that Mr. Khan didn't want me in this house from the very beginning. To yu samaj lije ki mein une, jate jate, ye tofa de rahi hoon."

"Ok Ms. Farooqui. To mein aapko kal subha London ki pehli flight ke liye, airport tak poncha hunga. Chalta hoon," he said and left. There is something wrong. I'm getting her deported, but I get a funny feeling that something happened between these two. Why were they willing to fake an engagement to get her to stay back, and now neither of them wants her to stay? Or at least that's what she believes. Kuch to garbar hai.