Chapter 20

"What are you doing here?" Peeta demands as he stands as far away from me as possible. His hand that's clutching the knife is shaking. It looks like he's having a war in his head.

"I, um. I don't want to go back to the Capitol, and I don't think you want to either," I say.

The large man, who I locked out of the room, is now banging on the door telling us to open up. Peeta's eyes shift to the door then to me. Then he starts to move towards the door.

"Is that what you want?" I say almost aggressively. "To go back to the Capitol? Back to the place where-"

I don't know what to say next. Where they forced us into arenas for entertainment? Where they hijacked you? Where we went to war and watched everyone die?

All is say is "Where they took your life away from you?"

He considers my words and looks at me so wildy that I'm sure he'll go mutt at any moment.

Just when I think he's about to lunge for me, he does something unexpected. He lowers the knife and says says "So what's your plan?"

Taken back by this it takes me a minute to respond. It's hard to think with the fire alarm blaring and the man at the door pounding to get in.

"Do you even have a plan?" Peeta asks doubtfully.

My plan was to pack, get Peeta, and head back to District 12. I think I might be missing a few steps in between though.

"Well whatever we do, we're gonna have to get off this train," I say trying to sound confident.

"Looks like our way out has a few issues on the other side," Peeta says gesturing towards the door with the man waiting for us.

"There's two of us and one of him. We'll just open the door and get past him some how," I say with my confident tone fading.

Looking discouraged Peeta positions himself in front of the door, hand hovering over the open button.

"Ready?"