Chapter 28 - Inevitable Farewell

Rose.

Rose clipped on her earring, completing her outfit for the benefit. She was now wearing a dark navvy blue dress with a sweetheart neckline that finished above her knees, gold jewellery and black heels. She grabbed her clutch and then headed down stairs where Stacey was standing in the kitchen.

"You look nice." The girl smiled.

"Thank-you. I'm not sure what time I'll be back, I have to drop by a friends place afterwards."

"Alright. I have something to show you before you leave." Stacey said, grabbing her handbag and pulling out an A4 envelope, sliding it across the bench to Rose.

She pulled out what was inside to see a filled out membership form. "You got him to sign up." Rose stated.

"I did." Stacey nodded with a proud smile.

"Well done. I'll file this tomorrow."

"What's next?" The girl asked, wanting another task.

"Let me think on it." Rose stated before they said their goodbyes and she went out to her car, driving off down the road to where the dinner was being held.

Rose was sat at a table with Vanessa, Fisk, Wesley, Leland and two other members of the high-class society, a married couple no less. The dinner went by with idle chitchat, Fisk selling his campaign to the other two guests that were rather high up on the food chain and probably strategically seated at his table for this reason. It was then time for dancing, apparently, no doubt more Vanessa's doing than Fisk's.

Vanessa and Fisk of course went to dance as well as the couple while Leland went to get more alcohol, leaving Rose and Wesley at the table.

"Well." James rose from his chair and then held out his hand to Rose who cracked a smile, at first thinking he was joking.

"I don't dance." She stated calmly, leaning back in her chair to look up at him.

"It's a social event, Rosalie. It's only right to blend in. Unless, of course... you don't know how to." He stated which of course got her to sigh in frustration, rising from her chair and taking his hand, a need to prove that she could setting in. "You haven't given us the documents for your take over of Veles Taxi, yet." Wesley informed as they began to dance along with the other pairs in the room. Not the type of dancing you see at the club, but proper formal dances, the gentlemen leading.

"Hmm. Well, I guess I'm being cautious."

"Of what?"

"I can't help wondering if the only reason you want me to take over from the Russians is because Wilson Fisk the TV star and spokesperson of the people can't be placing his name on a company that was once owned by the Russian mob. It may send the wrong message. And if the people would think that of him then what's to say they won't think any differently of me?"

"I admire the way your mind works, Rosalie... despite your temper." He added. "I know swaying you won't be all that easy either, so... think on it some more, but... don't take too long."

"Mind if I cut in?" The voice of Leland broke them apart.

Wesley narrowed his eyes in confusion as Rose raised her eyebrows, but nonetheless, let the man take over as James went about his way and Rose suddenly wished she was back dancing with him, knowing that Leland probably wouldn't have anything good to say.

"I don't get it." He commented after a few moments of silence.

"What's that, Leland?" Rose sighed.