7. The Demon

Warning, this chapter has an intense scene in it

-November 23, Santee Reservation NE-

"Get out," our driver grunts through the open door. We've been on the road for close to nine hours today and for seven the day he picked us up. Outside is flat as far as the eye can see in all directions, there are no trees and endless hills of turned up dirt and grass. We've pulled up to an older house. The house is a two story wooden structure with a porch and a second floor balcony; it appears as if it hasn't been updated since it was built a hundred years ago.

Despite appearing run down with no electricity or running water, the clean windows and swept stairs hint someone still does upkeep on it. Harry steps out first and the brute grabs him by the collar of his shirt. The man throws Harry towards the house causing him to stumble over. I step out next and give the man a clear impression that I am not afraid of him. He grabs my wrist and kicks Harry on the floor in attempt to get him to go towards the house.

Parked ahead of us and to the left of the porch is a second vehicle, a yellow jeep. The jeep is covered in scratches with mud caked up half of its side, there are piles of nets inside its back and the seats are so weathered I can see the stuffing coming out of them.

A man steps out onto the porch to greet us. The man is a middle-aged black gentleman wearing a floral red tie and bright yellow dress shirt with black slacks. He has polished shoes that shine even as the setting sun provides little light, "You're early Prancer, and only two? Hardly a sell."

"Sorry boss," Prancer kicks Harry on the ground again. Harry finally gets to his feet and stumbles into the stairs falling down again at the Gentleman's feet. With my wrist firmly in his he pulls me along.

"What are we going to do with this one?" the Boss quarries, looking down at Harry.

"Dono, they threw shit at mah car, somehow they knew. Had to pick 'em up fast."

"Why not use the cages? We gave them to you for a reason."

"Get up there," Prancer snaps causing Harry to climb up the stairs. Harry gives the Boss one good look over before Prancer waves his gun to threaten Harry to get in the house. Harry scrambles inside. My handler stops at the bottom of the stairs and looks up to his boss, "Don' need them. They ain't causin' no problems. Came no questions asked. Easy."

The boss leans over the railing of the porch to get a good look at me; I return his look with a stern expression. "Interesting..."

A deep voice echoes from behind the screen door, "Mr. Pea, whatchu want me to do with this one?"

"Lock em up like normal," the gentleman shouts back.

"But..." the voice replies.

"I know, trade's tomorrow. I said two; we can deal with it then."

"Aye boss," I hear shuffling leading away from the door.

Prancer pulls me towards the doorway, but Mr. Pea puts his hand out, "Wait," he says, causing the driver to stop with his hand on the handle.