Cassette 1 Side A

Hello everyone. This is Cher Hastings.

Her voice sends shivers down my spine. I bite my lip as she continues to speak.

If you're listening to this, congratulations. You have made my list. My beautiful list of the people I love oh-so-much.

Her voice drips with sarcasm, and I swallow nervously. What did I do to make it on her list?

I need you to listen to these tracks until your name comes up. Then you'll know why you made my list. After that, you'll mail the tapes to the next person. Why should you listen to what I say, you may ask? Well, these tapes—they're not the only copies. That's right. You're being watched. And if these tapes don't make it to the last person...

She pauses dramatically, and I can practically see her devious smile.

All those fucked up things you did to me. Said to me. Mhmm. Everyone will know.

I cringe as she swears. She and I were polar opposites on swearing. A bad word is yet to pass my lips, while Cher had the language of a sailor who stubbed his toe.

Karma is a bitch, my friends.

And there it is again.

And the thirteenth person. As for you, you hold a very special place in my heart. You can keep these tapes.

She pauses again. Her voice is a bit softer here. Less angry. But I can't tell if she's being sarcastic again or not.

I just hope these tapes will cut you as deep as your words and actions cut me. Call me a bitch—oh wait—you already have.

So much for less angry. She laughs bitterly, and my heart breaks just a bit more.

Well, without further ado, let's get to the first lovely person on my list. Ne?

Her first Japanese word on the tape. I'm surprise she held off for so long. Because of her Japanese mother, Cher used to throw out Japanese phrases all the time, and they'd rubbed off on me.

Remember the day that new girl came?

She has to be talking about Paisley. She and Cher used to be friends until the new girl, Monica came.

That's the day you decided to leave me. You should know who you are by now. Paisley Richmond.

Even her name is, as Cher would say, bitchy.

M Pai-chan? We used to be besties. Yeah? You told me you'd always be there for me. Remember when I opened up to you about my problems? You said you understood. I was so relieved, you know?

I lie back on my bed, continuing to listen to her speak.

But by the time Monica came, I regretted telling you anything.

She pauses, and my heart pounds. I know what's coming.

You left me. Stabbed me in the fucking back. True friends stab you in the front, Pai. Mhmm. You were never my true friend, and I should have known. ひどい。

I've heard her say that enough times to know it means "terrible". Hidoi. That word left her mouth almost daily. Shows just how awful the world was to her.

I think if you hadn't decided to leave me for Monica and be a bitch, nobody at school would have found out about me. What do you think? Hmm?

She's right. She did a good job at hiding her problems.

Freak. Bitch. Slut—oh wait. That one isn't on you, but oh well. Anyway, my personal favorite...

She pauses. I know this one. I bite my lip and breathe out slowly.

Cutter.

She laughs, and my chest clenches.

If it wasn't for you, people would've just seen means the weirdo. Average. Not a target. Why'd you fuck everything up for me? You started that snowball, and it just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and

The tape stops, and I let out a breath I didn't even realize I'd been holding in. So that was Paisley's part in all this. She's the starting point. But who's the ending point?