Chapter I

I ran down the corridor straight towards the portal. My father told me I would be safe wherever the portal took me and that he loved me with all of his heart.

A blue light hit my head as I reached the portal and I blacked out after taking a few more steps through to what I assumed was safety.

Ten Years later

"Just go through the portal, sweetheart." Father told me. I started running till my legs gave out. But not before a blue light hit my head taking my memories of my father and my warlock life with it. The portal grabbed me and dragged me in.

I woke up with a start. The nightmare appears every night with my father replaced by a black figure and it is always slightly different. Sometimes I make it to the portal and others I don't. I also don't understand why I can never see my father. I mean my father has been with me my whole life. I think I should be able to remember what he looks like. I tried to find sleep and was welcomed with another dream.

"Alec, take care of my daughter. She is going to see things in her future that I hope you can help her avoid. I'm going to do what I did to Clary. I'm taking her memories. Help her, Alec. Please. Make her believe that she is yours." the black figure said.

"But what if I can't make Kylie think she's my daughter? What if her powers start to show? She's just like you, you know, Magnus." Alec said.

I was shaken awake. I opened my eyes to see my father, Alec.

"Kylie, what's wrong? You were screaming." he said. I looked at him confused and he just keeps staring at me. "Well, it doesn't matter. It's your 18th birthday, I got a whole thing planned. How about you get ready and I'll get the rest of the day set up?" he asked.

"Sounds great." I said. He then walked out of the room leaving me to my thoughts and to get ready. I thought back to the dream. Don't dreams mean something? Is Alec my dad? Or is this Magnus guy my father?

I quickly got dressed in the outfit that was laying out for me to wear today. Obviously chosen by my Aunt Isabelle. It was a cute fitted black dress and I knew my dad wouldn't want me walking around in it.

Kylie,

Happy Birthday! You should wear this today. And don't worry. I already talked to your father about it. He's okay with you wearing it. By okay, I mean I didn't even ask him.

Love,

Aunt Isabelle!

I quickly threw it on and zipped it up. I walked out the door and almost stepped right onto a small black box sitting on the ground.  I picked it up and opened it to reveal that it held a small bracelet. Black with diamonds all over. I quickly slid it onto my wrist and walked towards the kitchen. The smell of pancakes quickly entered my nose. Dad sat at table with a huge pile of probably the world's biggest pancakes in front of him.

"Ready for pancakes?" he asked cheerful. I laughed at his cheerfulness and sat down. The question from earlier came to my mind yet I was afraid to ask dad in fear of hurting his feelings.

"Papa? Can I ask you a quick question?" I asked carefully.

"You just did, but okay. Shoot." he said. I nodded and continued.

"Are you my real father?" I asked cautiously. He seemed shocked but quickly recovered.

"Want the truth?" he asked. I nodded my head yes very quickly to hear his answer. "No." he stated plainly. "Magnus Bane is." He quickly exited the room without saying another word. Did I upset him? It isn't like dad to storm off after a conversation. But there is nothing I can do to change it now. 

But dad answering my previous question opened up a whole new question. Who is Magnus Bane?