Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken Black Bean Enchiladas

GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE CHICKEN BLACK BEAN ENCHILADAS

Author: Kim Lee

Prep time: 15 mins

Cook time: 30 mins

Total time: 45 mins

Serves: 6 enchiladas

INGREDIENTS

For the enchilada sauce:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 small onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon oregano

1-2 tablespoons El Yucateco hot sauce (I used 1 TBSP Red and 1 TBSP green)

1.5 cups or 15-ounce can tomato sauce

1 cup chicken or vegetable stock or broth

For the enchiladas:

½ cup salsa (use your favorite and preference of green or red)

1-2 tablespoons El Yucateco hot sauce (I used 2 TBSP and this dish was quite spicy)

1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving

6 medium-sized tortillas (make sure these are gluten-free, if necessary)

Optional ingredients for serving:

guacamole, additional hot sauce or salsa, sliced avocado, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese and/or homemade ranch dressing

INSTRUCTIONS

To make the enchilada sauce, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for about 5 minutes. Once onion is soft, add garlic, seasonings and hot sauce. Stir everything around and continue to cook for about 1 minute more. Add tomato sauce and broth; and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass jar or glass measuring cup to thicken.

Use the same skillet to heat chicken black bean filling. Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat at medium-high heat. Add salsa, hot sauce and chopped chile; cook until mixture begins to sizzle. Add the beans and about ½ cup water; bring to the boil, then stir in the chicken, lower heat and simmer until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro.

To assemble the enchiladas, lay out a tortilla, and spread enchilada sauce generously over the surface of the tortilla. Add chicken black bean mixture down the middle of the tortilla, then roll up tortilla and place in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Then pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle cilantro over the top of enchiladas.

Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. Remove from oven and serve immediately, garnished with avocado and other favorite toppings, if desired.

NOTES

The enchilada sauce recipe makes 2 cups.

Source: http://www.kimscravings.com/2015/06/gluten-free-dairy-free-chicken-black-bean-enchiladas-with-homemade-enchilada-sauce/

Requested by: sajmra

Comments:

sajmra : OM NOM NOM!