Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten: Dream Gun

//Mystery Point of View//

//A COUPLE OF MONTHS LATER AFTER EVENTS IN CHAPTER NINE//

"Are the books up on display?"
"Yes."
"Did Nagachika call back?"
"No calls or reports on or from him since last year." 
I wonder where he ran off to?
"Okay. . . tell the people outside I'll be signing in about five."
"On it."

I looked up from the collection of papers that disappeared and reappeared. I signed random contracts knowing which ones had actual benefits and declined the other offers. At the end, I had simply thrown out a little less than all of the stacks of sheets, packets, and papers. I began to ascend from my chair. Making my way towards the door, I stopped shortly to look at myself in the mirror. I cringed at myself. Does self pity run in the family?

I calmly walked out the small cramped office the bookstore provided for me. I had to twist in a weird way to get through the door and passed the buff men who were 'protecting' me from book lovers. Gosh what a riot? 

Keeping a smile on my face, I walked out into the open only to see Aiko run up to me with a concerned expression blossoming from her face. "(L/n), there's been an accident on Main Street. Sightings from people say that there's masked things jumping around. I would say this is a gh-"  

"Don't say anything else, please. I'm having the worst day of my career."

"The ghoul attack is only a traffic light away. This group is small maybe inexperienced and probably looking for some fun bu-"

"I will not have a small group of damn rotten ghouls ruin this day. I worked my ass off for this signing and I am not letting it go this easily." 

"And how exactly do you plan on fixing this day?"  

I stared at Aiko. Her clothing pressed tight against her small frail build. Her satchel hung loosely across her chest, pocket open. I glanced inside her bag and saw my most prized possession. 

"Give me the gun." I say in a demanding tone. 

"Wh-" 

"Just give me the damn gun Aiko. I know what I'm doing." 

Aiko reluctantly dug her hand in her satchel. She pulled out a silver object with a weird amo asset. I grabbed the gun and checked to see if it was loaded with quinque bullets. It was and I have never been happier in the past month. "I'll be back in ten." 

//LINE BREAK//

I arrived at the scene. A white and black haired man stood there watching aimlessly towards a male ghoul that approached him. I pulled out my gun and used a skill someone taught me. . . 

I aimed carefully, index finger resting beside the trigger. Movie-like I counted until five seconds and fired. No hesitation whatsoever. The quinque bullet zoomed past and glistened in a blue and pink color. The  vibrant shades soon pierced through the hard skull of the ghoul. Just one bullet and he was down; a killing through the head.

Another ghoul started to approach the man but hearing me fire, he turned and faced me. I aimed the gun again. I waited until the pink haired ghoul with a fox mask was only a few inches away. I fired twice; another head-shot.

 The ghoul dropped, face bare. Guilt grew heavily inside me. The mask had fallen off the ghoul. Seeing his face, I realized he was only just a small boy. Not much older than twelve. 

Like I did before doing this old, reckless job, I went down on one knee. I grabbed the fox mask and placed it on the boys chest. I fixed his messy pink hair and brought his arms to lay on his side. I sincerely am sorry.

I heard footsteps approaching. Fancy leather black dress shoes stopped shortly in front of my sight. "I'm guessing you've done this before?" I glanced up. I saw the black and white haired man expressing a pitiful look. 

"I was your partner, Haise, and I lost so much being your partner." 

"Do you remember anything from the beginning?" 

I stayed silent. My lips felt so dry suddenly. I trailed my eyes back down to the dead ghoul. "The others fled." Was all I said. 

"Just answer my question (y/n)." 

"If you really want to know dream boy, I don't have a fucken clue about anything. I just remember seeing you across the street at a market holding a brown paper bag. A bus zooming by an-" 

"Ms. (L/n), are we going to cross the street?" (Back to chapter two setting for those who forgot)

I snapped back from my daydream and looked down at the blonde haired boy. His hand was hot and sticky or was that my own hand? "Uh, let's go around the block, there's a movie I wanted to take you and the rest of the kids to anyways." Kaito gave me a suspious look. The other fourth grade students held each others hand awaiting my signal to cross the street. I smiled gently. 

"Come on kids, let's go up Main Street and visit the theater." 

//LINE BREAK//

I sat comfortably in my chair. I talked in a calm manner to the male and females who brought their books to be signed. "That was a pretty interesting short story you told us." The brunette shyly spoke up. 

"I'm glad it was. But between you and me, it isn't just any story. Its something that's going to happen. Without the action but with the tense encounters."

I winked but I shouldn't have. That story I told was a nightmare. A nightmare that felt so real.