Chapter One- Happy Birthday

I noticed all of his friends were guys and I was shocked. My mate couldn't be one of them. I wasn't gay.

Chapter One- Happy Birthday

Ryder's POV

"Happy Birthday, Sweetie!" my mother exclaimed as she pinched my cheeks. I groaned and swatted her hands away.

"Mom, stop. Let me eat." I groaned before stuffing more pancakes in my mouth while everyone else around me did the same. Today was my 18th birthday. My mom was even worse on my 16th birthday, the day my wolf was fully matured and I could finally find my mate but sadly, I hadn't found her yet.

"But you're so grown up. My baby is all grown up." she said as I mouthed 'help me' to my father, Hunter, who I call by his first name but not out of disrespect. He sighed as he started to pull her away. I would thank him later but I had things to do. I put my plate into the sink and went outside to meet my Beta and best friend, Riley, who was going to help me shop for some last minute supplies for my birthday celebration tonight.

"Took you long enough." Riley stated as he stopped leaning on his truck to sit in the driver's seat.

"I don't just wake up looking this good." I said as I motioned to myself, earning a laugh from him.

"I feel bad for whoever your mate is." he said with a smile. "I would hate to have to deal with your cocky ass." I punched him in the shoulder and ignored him when he shot daggers at me. "You excited for tonight?"

"Excited as I'll ever be." He rolled his eyes.

I stared out the window, watching the multicolored cars as they flashed by. Minutes later, we were parked infront of a local grocery store. I was quick to exit the vehicle and enter the building, excitement bubbling within me.

"Chips and soda, right?" he asked as we walked down the chips aisle. I gave him a 'duhh' face and started throwing all kinds of chips into the basket. As long as there was food, my party was going to be awesome.

/ / / /

"Happy Birthday, babe," my girlfriend, Anna, said, cheerfully over the loud music. Her blonde hair was curled and hung loosely over her pale shoulders that were covered in a bright red fabric. She usually didn't dress up so it was surprising to see her this way. I opened up the envelope and saw a pair of concert tickets inside. "I thought we could go to the concert together." My mouth was open in a silent gasp as I stared at the tickets. This was one of the best gifts that I had ever received. I pulled her into a tight hug and kissed her on the cheek.

Yes, I have a girlfriend. After a year of searching for my mate, I eventually gave up and decided to still have a girl friend until I met my mate. If the wolf spirits wanted us to be together than we would meet some time soon, right?

"I-" I started but was cut off when the most mouth watering scent hit my nose. It was a mixture of apple and cinnamon, reminding me of home. I automatically knew it belonged to my mate and I would be lying if I didn't say they smelled delicous. "I'll be right back." I muttered to Anna before following the smell.

I followed the trail all the way to the door, where Riley and a couple of his friends were entering. I noticed all of his friends were guys and I was shocked. My mate couldn't be one of them. I wasn't gay. But the pounding of my chest and the sweat on my palms were telling me otherwise.

"Happy Birthday!" Riley exclaimed with both of his hands in the air. He pulled me in for a hug before introducing me to his friends. I didn't catch any of the names until he said the last one. "And this is Noah." He pointed at a person with black hair that framed his face nicely and light pink, kissable lips. He was looking down at his vans so I couldn't see his eyes but something told me if I did, I would love them.

When he heard his name, he looked up and we immediately locked gazes, his ice blue eyes staring into my hazel ones. 'MATE' rang through my head as I looked at Noah. My wolf wanted to jump his bones immediately and let everyone know he's mine but the human side of me was too stunned. I wasn't gay and I refused to be. My reputation in my social life and my pack would be in jeopardy.

Riley and his other friends had already walked away, dancing in the middle of the living room, leaving just me and Noah. I held out my hand but immediately regretted it when I felt the sparks emit from our skin contact. A gasp escaped my beautiful mate's mouth and just that one noise made my wolf go crazy. He quickly pulled his hand away and blushed, looking uncomfortable.

"Uh, happy birthday," he said with a small smile. His voice was like music to my ears and his smile was brilliantly bright. I was trying so hard not to fan girl over him but it was difficult.

"Oh thanks," I responded. I watched him shift uncomfortably while my wolf was scratching at the surface, trying to get to his mate. "Well it was nice meeting you, Noah." He blushed deeply, his face turning a dark shade of red.

"You too and happy birthday again, Ryder." My name sounded beautiful coming from his mouth and my body shivered in anticipation. I smiled quickly before taking off, going anywhere that was far away from him. I ran into Anna during my escape and was eternally grateful. I pulled her into my arms and crashed my lips against hers, my wolf whining in protest. Kissing her made me feel guilty and dirty, considering I just found my mate, my other half.

Noah's POV
A few minutes earlier...

"Come on, Noah. Stop being so unsocial." Riley said as he pulled on my wrist, trying to get me out of the car. We had parked in front of his friend, Ryder's house five minutes ago, after I was forced out of my house to 'socialize'.

"I don't like socializing with other humans." I whined as I held onto the car door handle. I heard him groan before he pried my hand off the handle with an impressively strong force. He pulled me towards the door, Ronney, Mitch, and Andy all walking behind us. "I can't even dance. What's the point of coming to a party?" I complained once more before he opened the door.

The living room was filled with people and I could barely hear myself think over the loud music. I sighed and looked around the room, looking for any source of escape. When I saw someone approaching us, I dropped my gaze to my feet.

I looked away mostly because I had learned to not make eye contact with anyone that was on a higher step on the social status ladder, a skill acquired in high school.

"Happy Birthday!" Riley yelled at the person, who I was guessing to be the birthday boy, before he introduced us all. I wasn't paying attention until I heard him say my name.

I looked up and met the gaze of a pair of striking hazel eyes. I watched as his gaze scanned over my entire body and I could feel my cheeks warming up. He held out his hand and I hesitated before shaking it, tingles shooting through my arm. I gasped and quickly, withdrew my hand, feeling sort of disappointed from the loss of his touch. I felt my cheeks warm even more as I blushed and I tried to think of something to say. "Uh, happy birthday," I said with a soft smile.

"Oh thanks." his deep voice said and I had to hold back the shiver that wanted to go through my body. "Well it was nice meeting you, Noah." It was weird how much control this man had over my body. This was our first time meeting and yet, when I looked into those hazel orbs, I felt like we had known each other forever.

"You too and happy birthday again, Ryder." I felt stupid for not being able to even make conversation. He smiled before speed walking somewhere on the other side of the room. I probably scarred him off but I couldn't help the small disappointment I felt from his absence.

Way to go, Noah. I thought to myself.

I looked around the room and realized Riley was nowhere to be seen. Smiling, I ran outside to the truck, grabbed my skateboard from the back, and skated home. Thank you, skateboards. A wild party was the last place I wanted to be but Ryder's face was engraved in my mind and I could not forget him as I skated home. I wondered when I would see him next or if I ever would.