Chapter 6 - Neme

-The Past-

I look across the dining room table at him in dismay. "Are you sure Aaron? We're barely settled into our new jobs and we haven't done any planning at all."

He stops eating and takes a drink of his water.

"What I have in mind doesn't really include planning, Neme. Weddings are overrated don't you think? Plus, my mother is going to want to take over the entire affair. I can't see anything being fun about any of this. People spend more time planning their weddings than they do planning their futures together. I just want you, me and a beautiful setting. We don't need all of the glam and hype. That's not who we are anyway, Babe. I mean, is a big wedding what you really want?"

I hadn't really ever thought about it to be honest. Yes, of course I had pictured myself in a beautiful wedding dress and saying I do to the man I love, but I hadn't ever had dreams of an extravagant wedding day. "No, not really, I guess not."

"Babe, I'm not trying to be an ass here. I just want you to be my wife sooner rather than later. I'm not trying to belittle any dreams you may have for a wedding."

I give him a reassuring smile and tilt my head to the side. Taking a moment to look at the man sitting across from me I'm reminded why I love him so much. He's the most unselfish person I know. He's caring, kind and has the biggest heart. He's also right. We don't need a big wedding. I just have my mother and sister and his family would most definitely try to take over the entire day. My sister lives in another state and mom has slowly turned into a different person since Dad passed away. She's still here but a part of her left with him and she hasn't been the same since.

I reach across the table and take his hand. "Okay."

He squeezes my hand. "Okay? You'll elope with me?"

I nod and he's out of his chair faster than I can blink an eye. He rounds the table and scoops me up as if I'm light as a feather. "I love you so damn much," he says in between kisses. "I'm the luckiest man in the world." He spins us around in a circle and starts walking towards the bedroom. 

"I have to get ready for work Aaron. We have to postpone this celebration until tonight." I lean into him and kiss him gently on the cheek. "And then we can plan our little getaway."

***

"Hannah, please don't be mad. You're my sister and best friend. I needed to tell someone and I don't want you mad about it. A big wedding hasn't ever been a dream of mine anyway."

She sighs into the phone. I knew she would be upset but I had to tell someone. "Neme, you're my baby sister and I love you. I'm not necessarily mad. I guess I'm just disappointed. But it's your day. It's not about me, so I support whatever you two decide."

"Thanks, Hannah. His family won't be as understanding. I'm dreading the moment they find out."

"Oh, screw them. They're so damn snooty and entitled anyway. You're right when you say they would want to take the whole thing over. You're probably saving your marriage by eloping. You might not have survived a wedding planned by Lynn and Macie. I don't know how you stand being around those people. That Macie is a real piece of work. I never liked her growing up."

"Trust me; the struggle is real when it comes to me tolerating her. Cain opened a small law firm in the city and she's his partner. They seem to do everything together those two."

"Well, just be glad Aaron isn't up their asses like they are with each other."

I pull into the parking garage at work and park. "I know, I know. Aaron has the patience of a saint. He loves them. I have to respect that."