(Edited) Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

"No I won't! I—"

"You will Aiden, you will. And how do you think she will handle it, huh? It'll completely break her. She's better off without you, and you know it." I try to argue again but Damien doesn't let me. "Hailey on the other hand, she's a tough one. She'll not only kick your ass if you mess with her, she'll be able to bounce back once you break heart. And you know you will. It's inevitable. You get bored too easily."

I glare at him. "You're supposed to be my friend!"

"I am your friend, that's why I'm being one hundred percent honest with you."

I hat the fact that what he was saying is a hundred percent true. He is right. I would hurt Scarlett. And that would not only ruin her, it would also ruin everything between us.

"The truth is that Scarlett's too good for you. And you don't need someone like that in your life. After all, you're not looking for love. You're just looking for fun. If you really care about Scarlett, you're going to leave her alone. Go back to Hailey. There must be something special about her. After all, she made you want to be in a relationship in the first place. Keep your distance from Scarlett, and focus on your girlfriend. You'll move on in no time."

I wish I felt better after knowing what I should do. Instead, I felt worse. I don't want to distance myself from Scarlett. I'm not sure I can do that—

Which is precisely why you should do it Aiden. Back the fuck off before it gets too late.

Yeah, yeah that's what I should do. I should back off. Besides, Scarlett doesn't even like me. She keeps pushing me away.

But the way she'd looked at me in the dance studio...

It meant nothing. She doesn't like me. It meant absolutely nothing.

I sigh. If walking away from Scarlett is the right thing to do, why does it feel so wrong?

Scarlett

Have you ever wanted time to speed up, things to go faster? Like that time when you were stuck in the middle of a boring lecture and you wanted the bell to ring already. That's how I feel right now. I can't wait for the clock to strike eight, so that I can finally meet Aiden at the city park. He called me a few hours ago, requesting me to meet him there so that we could talk face to face. Since then, I've been constantly dreaming up different scenarios inside my head about what might happen once we meet.

I haven't felt this strongly for anyone—ever. I've had my list of crushes, but this, it's so much more than that. These feelings are stronger, deeper. And I don't want to give up on them, give up on the first person ever who made me feel like this. Like I said, I want my first love to be my only love. But is this really love? How can I even know? This sure feels like what those heroines in those romantic books and movies feel.

I don't know; I'm just scared. I don't know if I should embrace these feelings with open arms or deny them. I just don't know. I guess today would finally seal the deal—I will finally know what I should do, be with him or simply try to move on.

"Are you sure about this Scar?" Susan asks me. She's plopped on my bed and is munching a cheese sandwich.

I groan and shut my eyes close. "I don't know Su, I don't know anything. This is just too much, it's making my head and heart ache, but in a good way."

She scoots over, so she's sitting next to me. "I just want you to be careful, that's all. I don't want you to get hurt."

"I don't know about that. Every time I decide to tell Aiden how I feel, something happens that fucks it up, and makes me realize why I shouldn't."