Chapter Eight

Spring break was creeping its way up. Keith and I had talked about taking a family trip because it was the first spring break we would be together. Keith had been working a lot so money wasn't an issues, and we both had cars so neither was transportation. We just didn't know where we would go.

"How about Rapid City?" Keith asked me.

"I go there every summer. I want to go some place I've never been."

"Okay, Florida."

"No. That's too far. We will be driving the whole time and won't have any time to enjoy the beach. Plus we'll spend all our money on gas."

"Okay so, where do you want to go?" I could tell Keith was getting a little impatient, but not too much.

"I don't know.." I really didn't know though. I wanted to go to the beach, that's all I knew.

"Well we got to decided some where. We only have two days till Friday, which is when we said we wanted to leave." He paused to think. "How about California?" I had thought about California, but I didn't know if it would be a problem for Keith.

"Is that okay for you?"

"Yah. I mean, its not there aren't other places in California we can visit besides southern California. We could go to the capital, Sacramento, or San Francisco."

"I just want to see the beach." I had never been to the beach, so that's what I was most looking forward to.

"San Francisco it is then." He said with a smile.

We told me parents later that day. They were fine with it, long as Keith knew where he was going, which he did. We were going to take Keith's Ford truck which was of course bigger than my little Toyota. When told Sam about the trip, he was excited to go swimming. He had only been a few times and wasn't very good.

So we packed up that Friday school let out for spring break, and headed out. I was ecstatic about going on a roadtrip with my two men. Because this was an almost 18 hour drive, we planned little breaking points to rest. Our first stop was Twin Falls, Idaho. There, we visited the water falls and took pictures of Sam in front of them. We ate at a little restaurant, then picked up some t-shirts for my family as a souvenir. After a few hours, we left and went on to our second stop which was Reno, Nevada.we captured all the bright light casinos on to our camera. Now, we were about the quarter of the way there, but still had one more place to go. We drove a couple more hours, finally reaching California, into Sacramento. It was such a beautiful city. There was large bridge we drove across. We just rode along, watching all the building move past us. It was such a great experience.

Finally, an hour had gone by, before we could see the bay ahead of us. We had finally reached our destination. The hotel we stayed in was a little one, not too expensive. It was about a fifteen minute drive to the beach, but it had been a long day a driving so decided to just stay in the night.

When we woke up the next morning, we put on our bathing suits and clothes, and headed down to the hotel lobby for breakfast.

"Are you excited to go to the beach, buddy?" Keith asked Sam as we sat down.

"Yes. I wanna see all the fishys!" Sam exclaimed.

"Mommy is excited too." I said. "I've never been to the beach either."

"Really mommy?" Sam questioned, then turned to Keith and said, "have you been daddy?"

"Yes I have. Plenty of times."

We finished eating and took off. We stopped at the store first, buying some sun screen and floaties for Sam. Finally, we pulled up into the beach parking lot. We walked, as family down onto the sand. It wasn't hot as I assumed, because it was still just March. It was so relaxing just to hear the sound of the waves crashing, while walking through the soft sand. We settled near a spot close enough to the water to build a sturdy sandcastle. Laying our towels down, I decided to get a little tan first, while Keith took Sam out to swim.

"Be careful!" I shouted out as they ran off. This was so perfect. As I sunbathed, I watched as they spent quality time together. Keith was such a good father, it was almost as if he had never left. Even though some others might think my life is crazy, I loved it.

After a little while, they came back up to where I was laying. We had all built up and appetite so we decided to go to the hotdog stand, a little in the distance. Keith picked Sam up either one ARM, and used the other hand to hold mine, such a picture perfect moment.

When we got back to our spot, Sam and I spent the rest of the day building sandcastles and collecting seashells. Keith had gone off swim and surfing. I could tell he missed the water, he was such a natural at everything.

As evening came, we headed back to the hotel, grabbing some fast food on the way. We got back and ate, then I gave Sam his bath. He had no trouble going to sleep that night, we had had such a busy day, he knocked out. Just as I was about to hop in the shower, Keith walked in, completely naked. I smiled as I looked at him, making him return the smile. Together, we entered the shower, hot water beating on our entwined bodies. As Keith picked me up off the ground, I wrapped my legs around his waist. He kissed my neck passionately, as we moved in sync. Sex with the person you love isn't just sex, it was making love. When we finished, we washed each other off and kissed for a good five minutes.

That day had been one of the best days of my life, so peaceful and serene. If it didn't mean leaving my family, I would want to live here.

The rest of our trip, we did a lot of sight seeing. We saw the Golden Gate Bridge, went to the San Francisco Zoo, and tried so many different types of food, I was sure I gained weight. Our last day, however, we spent again at the beach. I had taken so many pictures through out our vacation, even though I didn't want to leave, I was sure to remember this time.

When it came time for us to go on the road again, I told Keith what an amazing time this had been. He agreed and told me this would be the first if many family trips. I couldn't wait to explore the world with my mini family.