Chapter 1

Chapter One

Austin’s POV

           The girl standing in front of me pressed closer to me as we danced to the thumping music. It was so loud that the floor shook with the intensity of the bass. The chick I was dancing with tried to push closer to me, but she was already as close as she could get. I took a step back, pulling her with me.

I walked her to the middle of the makeshift dance floor, also known as my buddy Noland Richards’ living room. There was a party at his house every Friday, as his parents were always away on fancy vacations or work trips. All of the furniture had been pushed against the wall for more dancing space.

One of the girl’s legs pressed in between mine. My hands tightened on her hips. She smiled seductively, snaking her arms from around my neck, down my chest, around my waist, before they settled just below my bottom end. A shiver ran down my spine, and I crashed my mouth to hers roughly.

She pulled out of the kiss to throw me a wink and a sly smirk before leading me off the dance floor and down the hallway in the back. I was too wasted to remember her name-was it Ashley? Or maybe this was Hannah?-but that didn’t matter. She was looking hot in a tiny black dress that looked even better on the bedroom floor. I just hoped I would remember this one in the morning.

           I sat in the library during my only free period of the day, but I couldn’t concentrate on my work. I was too busy staring at the most beautiful girl in the world. She was sitting just a few tables away from me, her head bent close to the table, writing away. I knew her from The Coffee Shop where she worked. It was a few blocks from the school, and I sometimes stopped there on my way home.

I saw her there for the first time a few days ago. I was on my way home after hockey practice. I wasn’t planning on stopping that day, but I had caught a glimpse of her through the window and I couldn’t resist stopping in just to say a few words to her. Even if she didn’t know who I was. Yet. But she would, I would make sure of that.

  Her name was Grace. Her honey blonde hair fell over her face in delicate waves as her hand moved across the page at an incredible speed. I was entranced by her. But, at the same time, she confused me. I’d never felt this before. I had a reputation at this school. I was with a different girl every week, and had never held an actual girlfriend before. This was who I was. I wouldn’t throw that away for some freshman, would I? Well, maybe, if her name happened to be Grace Banks.

   I felt someone’s hand thump against the back of my head. I snapped my head around, angrily looking for who had hit me. No one would dare hit me, they had to have lost their minds. Did they even know who I was? I calmed down when I saw who it was. My buddy, Noland, took the seat next to me.

           “Crushing on the poor, innocent freshman, are we, mister big-shot senior?” Noland teased while he eyed me carefully as I rubbed the back of my head where he’d hit me.

           “No!” I yelled, a bit too loudly, as the librarian suddenly poked her head out from behind a rack of books she was sorting.

           “Not so loud, Mr. Tyler!” she scolded. Quickly, I looked in Grace’s direction to check if she’d seen me get in trouble. I looked up just in time to see her roll her eyes before going back to her work. Crap! Now she’s going to think I’m some sort of delinquent. Not that it mattered. It’s not like I cared what she thought of me.

           “You so are!” Noland countered. “There’s no denying it now. I have proof.”

           “Proof?” I asked nervously. “What are you talking about?”