Chapter 17

Edited

Elias's POV

The words tastes like bile as they slipped off my tongue. Her arms tightened around me as she sucked in a sharp breath. Shit. I loosened my hold and laughed nervously.

"Huh?" She looked at me confused. I slipped my hands into my pockets and turned toward the lake.

"I'm kidding Alex, don't freak," I said trying to save myself. I glanced over to see Alex's unreadable expression. She stared at the ground for a moment before smiling.

"Jerk, that's not funny! I almost thought you were serious..." She chuckled softly. I cleared my throat and turned to look at her. It was now or never Elias.

"Alex..."

"hmm?" I took a deep breath and pulled her closer to me. Her eyes widened, chocolate and Caramel swirls. I wanted to get lost in them, taste every part and make her forget that there was another world apart from us.

"I wasn't kidding," I whispered. I watched her chest rise and fall quicken as if her heart was going to break through its cage and land into my hands. Taking the chance, I leaned in closer. She didn't move. I pressed my lips against hers, feeling my stomach violently flutter with butterflies. I cupped her face pulling her closer, but her body wouldn't mirror mine. She pulled away, her lips trembling.

"What? I thought you wanted to..." My breath came out shakier than I intended.

"No. I mean yes," She said, shaking her head. "I did, but I uhh... can't." The girl standing before me shifted into a small child with no way out. She looked around her with alarmed eyes. She wanted an exit. But I wasn't ready to give her one.

"Why? Because I'm not Austin?"

"Why are you bringing him into this situation? It has nothing to do with him!" She yelled back. I stood up, towering over her.

"Then why not?" I asked louder. Her lips quivered and her eyes darkened. She just shook her head and dropped her gaze. I wanted her to admit it. It wasn't that she didn't like me- it was because she couldn't decide. I stepped closer to her, our bodies like magnets. I watched her breath fill the air with white smoke. I was becoming someone I couldn't control.

"Tell me," I whispered, my lips lingering over hers. Her eyes fluttered causing everything in my body to come alive. I pressed my lips against hers again, waiting for her to feel the same electric feeling I felt when we were too close for comfort. I wanted her to melt into my hands, but she was stone cold.

She pushed me off once again, stepping away like she just kissed a stranger.

"Whatever. Enjoy your gift," I said, shaking my head. I walked away, my fists clenched at my sides.

Alex's POV

I lied. Austin had some part in my crime of falling in love. Because I wasn't in love, yet. I was falling in love with the music, but the men behind the instruments were far from what I needed to keep my fragile heart from shattering into a million pieces. Most of what was wrong was me. I was scared of Elias, of what he could do to me. He knew so much, I didn't want him to think I wasn't capable of taking care of myself. Because I was. All my uphill battles were fought by me. I wasn't the poster-child for strong, but I was strong enough. I didn't want someone to make me feel otherwise.

I stood up and headed toward the Cabin. People were finally starting to clear out. Austin was standing against the back door watching couples finish the last dance. If I was strong enough to face Elias, I was strong enough to face Austin. I rebuilt torn down walls and walked toward him.