Mr. Bennett

Tori's POV

I hopped into Mark's pickup and Cali took the back seat. We drove out of the school parking lot and onto the main road.

"So where to first?" Cali asked.

"We have to pick up Suzie," I said, "Oh and I think we're picking Conlan up too. He had hockey practice today, right Mark?"

"Yeah so we'll pick them up and then drop you home Cali." Mark concluded. He didn't seem in the mood for talking. I don't blame him either.

"Oooh turn up the volume!" Cali shouted, hitting my arm.

I turned up the radio and Cali sang along at the top of her lungs, "I DON'T CARE. I LOVE IT!"

Mark and me laughed at Cali. She was off tune, off key, off everything. But that's Cali, a six year old in a seventeen year old's body. We first pulled up at the middle school, Conlan was outside waiting around with some friends. He had his hockey duffle bag in his hand and some rollar blades in the other hand.

Conlan does play hockey, but during the spring, summer, and part of fall instead of ice skates they use rollar blades. But mostly just for practice at the school. Every Saturday the kids on the team are allowed to go the ice ring for practice.

Once Conlan got sight of the car he waved to his friends and ran over. Cali opened the door and scooted over.

"Hey Conlan," Cali said.

I turned in my seat and smiled at him, "How was practice?"

Conlan didn't say anything, he just held a thumbs up.

"So how was your day Conlan?" Cali asked.

He held another thumbs up.

I frowned, "You know you can talk to us."

He shook his head. When I glanced at Mark I could see he was forcing himself not to laugh.

"Come on Conlan what's up?" Cali nudged his shoulder.

Conlan just shrugged.

"You're ticking me off Conlan," I said, "Come on. You nervous about your dad or something?"

He shook his head.

I sighed and turned back facing forward.

"He's nervous with seeing Suzie," Mark smirked.

"Am not!" Conlan shouted. My eyes widened and I turned around just as Conlan covered his mouth with his hand. His voice. It wasn't the little kid voice, it was deeper.

"Omg!" Cali smiled and hugged Conlan, "Congratulations!"

"For what?" Conlan muttered.

"I don't know. Mom said it to me when it happened." Cali shrugged.

Mark laughed, "Happened about a week ago."

I smiled and ruffled my fingers through Conlan's hair, "It's going to need some getting used to. But you'll be fine. Congratulations Conlan."

"And just on time," Cali added, "Your dad is going to see you're a young man thing."

I laughed and faced forward, "Why didn't you tell me!?"

I hit Mark's arm and he chuckled, "Well I figured you would see him soon."

"You could've told me! He's like the little brother I never had." I said. I remember Conlan as a toddler, he was so cute. When he was younger his hair was a long floppy brown. And he had those little kid giggles that were naturally contagious. But as he grew up, he wanted short hair. So now whenever his hair gets long enough that it doesn't spike up, he goes and cuts it.