Fight For Freedom

Chapter 31

“Rally the soldiers and have them instruct all those imbeciles to cease this meaningless war. Then have all the so called kings involved in this poppy Gog that I demand to see them before the day ends.” The high king instructed before retaking his seat.

“Your Majesty you can’t do that!” I protested. Yes he was ending the war and that was what I wanted but he was going to kill my princess! He couldn’t have been allowed to do that. I didn’t care that he was the High King that didn’t give him the right to just lay out those kinds of orders without caring about who would hurt.

“I’m the High King, I can do anything I see fit while resolving an issue and it seems the only way to put this one to rest is by getting rid of the instigator.”

Why was he so cold . . . ?

“But Kiara hasn’t done anything!”

“That’s not my concern; she has inadvertently caused a massive war that threatens to wipe out a whole kingdom. Have you ever thought about that? Your kingdom is dying and even though killing one girl could end that you still cling to her? Not very wise Young Prince.” He warned.

“I don’t care! Don’t you have someone that you would die for?” he had to have some remnant of a heart left. When I said that I noticed that his eyes quickly glanced over at Queen Anabella. I knew it. “well it’s the same for Kiara and I can’t let you murder her—“

“Murder?” He asked suddenly filled with a new rage.

“Yes, murder!” I shouted just as angrily. “You will be murdering her in cold blood oh great high king.”

He shot up again but this time he walked right by me and over to the guards that stood by the door. “Make sure they speed up the process. I want her here much sooner now.”

I felt my fists clench.

He was a monster. I could just kill him myself. When he took in my expression his expression went grim but then he simply left the room. The Queen rose immediately and hurried out after him.

---Kiara’s POV---

“Kiara I just got word that their headed up.” Emma said, reporting back to me. I nodded reflectively but kept my eyes on the street below. I was right in the assumption that being on the roofs would have given us a better vantage point. The children were also kept on the roofs but only on the ones that we were sure wouldn’t have come under any cross fire. Though Ezra protested I made sure that both he and Saylo stayed there as well. I couldn’t have bared to lose either and Ezra needed to understand that he wasn’t a warrior as yet.

“Alright, let the women below us know then come right back.” I said. We needed some people too remain in the shops to provide ground fire using the explosives we had found while looking for weapons.

She nodded then ran off.

“Are you ready?” Chloe asked, glancing over at me. I nodded. Even if I wasn’t I needed to be because I could see them coming.

“It’s time.” I heard someone say from behind me. I nodded again, still trying to keep my cool. If this didn’t work then we would have all been killed.

The sound of an explosion caught me off guard and I jumped slightly. My eyes shot to the site of the noise but I couldn’t see much of anything but smoke. An arrow wooshed by me and I heard someone cry out.

Yes! The first shot was fired successfully. The men began running in several different directions just as we had hoped. Two more arrows were fired and again there were screams.