Prologue

I took a deep breath and walked onto the school grounds. It's my second year and Gotham Academy an still I have no friends but a ton of bullies. My England flag printed book bag pulled tightly against my chest. I had my head down and was hurrying towards the school hoping for some luck.

"Grey!" I sighed luck wasn't on my side. I kept on walking hoping they'll just leave me alone. "Grey I'm talking to you!" I felt a hand wrap around my upper arm and spin me around and face them. Them being the people that make my life a living hell. Claire Weathers and her bodyguard Blake Readings. The later's last name being ironic because he has never picked up a book in his life or probably didn't even know how to read.

I sighed. "What can I help you with?" Claire snarled at me in all her coloring book faced glory.

"Cut out with the face accent. Everyone knows it's fake." I just shook my head. I was from England until my parents decided to move to America after they caught a mass murderer in London where we lived. I thought they were talking about a nice  place maybe New York or Boston but noooo they had to choose a hell hole like Gotham. A city full of crime and creeps, and Claire Weathers.

"It's not fake. I happen to be England born and raised." I help my head up high and noticed we were drawing a crowd.

"Yeah right I'll believe that when pigs fly." Oh she just set her self up for  a great comeback. I tilted my head to the side looking innocent as possible.

"Well then you should be flying." A couple people laughed I took that as my cue to leave. Spinning on my heels I walked into the school like a boss. At least that's what it felt like.

********
I internally groaned. I have P.E. with Claire this year. I walked into the gym to see an obstacle course set up. The teacher Mr. Jones blew his whistle.

"OK listen up! I took your best times from last year and you've gotta beat them or your grade isn't going to look so good." I heard a bunch of girls groan. As for me I was grinning. Who wouldn't want to do something like this?

"Let's start with the two fastest girls first then boys. GREY!" He bellowed my last name. "3:02." I nodded my head and took my starting position jumping on the balls of my feet. I double checked that my shoe laces weren't tied together and nodded, hearing a whistle seconds later I took off jumping through and over a series of things before I was on the home stretch.

I decided to put on a little show and did backhand springs through the tires and on my last plant I shot up to grab the handle bars, flipping in the air and landed on the mat.

A few people clapped, Claire scowled. Mr. Jones whistled.

"2:30. That's a new recorded. Boys don't let her put you to shame! TODD!" A raven haired boy walked over to the starting mat. He also put on an impressive show but who can beat me I'm fabulous. He landed on the mat similar to me only he didn't make as much noise.

"2:33 Todd not bad but still beat by a girl."

I watched a couple of the more athletic people go through but ended up getting bored and sat in the bleachers holding my favorite book. It was about a vigilante and a superhero teaming up to kick ass and take some names.

Someone sat next to me. I didn't pay any attention to them an continued reading.

"Impressive show by the way. I wouldn't have wanted to be out timed by anyone else." I looked up to see a raven haired green eyed boy sitting next to me looking over the gym.

"Uh thanks?"

"No problem. Jason Todd." He stuck his hand out to me I chuckled and grabbed his and shaking it.

"Alyssa Grey."

"Grey sounds familiar are your parents William and Joann Grey the detectives?" I nodded. I saw that Claire was up on the course and tensed she was glaring at me. Jason must of felt my uneasiness and looked I've at her and laughed.

"I heard what you said to her this morning great comeback by the way." I blushed.

"Well it's better than what I wanted to do."

"What do you mean?"

"Her and I don't exactly see eye to eye." I mumbled and subconsciously rubbed my arm where she grabbed it. Noticing it was bruised and the long scar that she gave me a few weeks ago. Jason took my arm gently and looked at it.

"Did she do this?" I nodded.

"Don't worry. With me as your friend she won't hurt you." He slung his arm over my shoulders and I laughed.

"I have a feeling this is going to be a great friendship."