Entry 26: Strangers

Inside the gymnasium, surrounded by the one hundred fifteen graduating students, I started to feel the distance growing us apart. Like strangers in a midst of crowds, we both smiled and marched on towards the stage to get our diploma. We worked with the crowd like we hadn't noticed each other's presences. With trained eye, it was obvious I was pretending. But did he felt the same?

After I had decided to talk to him with in the week, now I'm at the last day, I didn't know how to approached him. All the practice and the waiting, if there was no courage in me to walk up to him and take the first step on breaking the silence between us, everything I had done would be for nothing.

My friend didn't knew what I was up to. When they noticed my lack of enthusiasm for our graduation, they all but pushed me and hypothetically put me in the same locked room as him. It wasn't a room, more like a quiet hallway where my girls guarded the pathway to keep people from interrupting us.

He didn't looked oblivious nor surprise that I wanted to talk. It was like he knew we would end up in that situation somehow.

After not talking to him for most of the school year, I never though I would also loose the confidence of talking naturally with him. My heart was pounding in my ear and I suddenly felt a slight shortness of breath. From how he was fidgeting with his hand and tucking it inside his pockets, I knew it wasn't only me who was nervous.

He started the conversation with an unnecessary pleasantries. Is this what everything had become between us? After all this time, we were like being strangers again.