Prologue

For at least thirty seconds, Polly North stood frozen in the doorway of her master bedroom, her jaw literally hanging open.

With a pained look, she watched her husband's ass gyrate on the bed with what appeared to be a rather athletic, impossibly flexible, and entirely familiar looking housekeeper. On their bed. On the Ralph Lauren sheets that she had picked out only last Christmas. At 2:34 p.m. On a Tuesday.

This was... unusual.

And now, she couldn't get the vision of her husband's naked white ass coupled with a pair of female legs splayed in the air and how terribly the whole scene clashed with the Egyptian cotton bedding and soothing lighting she had had specially installed when they built the house.

But mostly, she was having a little trouble getting her mind around the fact that her husband was, in fact, having sex with another woman in their bed.

On a Tuesday afternoon.

With a strangled yelp, Polly tore her eyes from the scene and spun on her heel, racing down the stairs and tripping down the last three as she heard Matthew's shout for her to stop – he can explain – just wait a goddamn minute...

She had to get out of here. She had to get away from this. First, she'd come home to confront her husband of a decade about something unspeakable and what she was sure was absolutely untrue, only to find him in flagrante delicto with someone paid to mop their kitchen floor.

Polly sprinted back outside into the bright California sunshine and launched herself into the driver's seat of the Mercedes as Matthew stumbled out the front door, trying to zip up his pants and instead tripping over the dragging hems of the legs. She gunned the engine and with one last glare at her husband, she laid down twin tracks in the driveway in her rush to put as much distance between them as possible.

It couldn't be true. It couldn't.

But if Matthew having an affair was true, what was to say that the other accusation wasn't?

Polly whipped into a miraculously empty parking spot near the Santa Monica pier, took a deep breath, and then speed dialed her phone.