The High King

Chapter 30

The sun had begun to ruse before we finally got back to the cellar that we hiding in. By now we had found a total of over fifty hideouts, all jam packed with scared women and children.

 I was grateful for the opportunity to have been walking because it gave me time to think and re-strategize. There were too many of them for us to congregate in the same place so Chloe and I decided to go in ranks. The teams uptown would come down from the hills only after the ones in the square; my group had driven them down to the border where the final team would be waiting.

Chloe opened the cellar door and we rejoined the group that had apparently only just woken up. It wasn’t yet time to move out though; there was still a bit more to do.

“Hey, I think you should rest before we gout again.” Chloe whispered before I could give any orders.

“There’s no time.” I whispered back. This was a war which meant that there was no time to rest or whatever else she might have had in mind. We had to be constantly moving and working towards driving those men out before they could hurt anyone else. Besides, I wasn’t tired. All I could think about was the attack planned for just a few hours away. How could she really have even suggested that? We had weapons to lift, roofs to prepare and we had to do that and much more before they were ready to begin walking. I counted on them coming to look for us and when they did we would show them why they should have left when they were given the opportunity.

“Kiara…” She urged.

“Chloe stop.” I whined. She was treating me like we were children again. “I not tired and we have an attack to carry out.”

She rolled her eyes and sighed. “Alright, I need everyone to sit tight, except for my troop; we move out now.”  

All the girls jumped up; ready to set out whenever we were. That was how it usually was. We usually had to be ready as needed and this was definitely no exception.

“Alright, move out.”

They all rushed out with Chloe but I stayed to give one final word.

“Be on the alert. The moment we get back we will be moving again so tie up whatever you need to and just try to get rid of the nerves.” I looked at them then my expression softened. “No matter what, we will make them leave; today we take back our kingdom.” One by one they began clapping until the whole room was filled with their cheers. I smiled but couldn’t stay very long to bask in the gratitude; we were on a mission.

Outside I found only Chloe standing out in the open and that was only because she was waiting on me. We were both supposed to hit the men that stayed just outside the place gate. They were apparently ‘guarding’ it but that would be for long.

Sneaking through the forest was made even easier because of the lack of shoes. Without them we moved with less noise. In no time we were just outside the palace with our targets in sight. Sleeping . . . how pathetic. This would almost be too easy.

---Rolan’s POV---

I hadn’t been able to get any sleep the night before. The king had gotten worst in the past few years and this time he was doing something drastic. He wouldn’t even let me explain . . .

My palms began to sweat everytime I thought about what he would have done to me and had to constantly remind myself to not think about it. There was still a chance that he wouldn’t have killed me. I still believed that he could have been reasoned with and I just needed the right words. Luckily his wife, Queen Anabella, wasn’t dead so I could always play that whole ‘couldn’t stand losing the love of my life’ card. Surely he still had a heart and I had heard rumors about him being crazy for her. He had to understand because he would have been able to put himself in the same position. It was that simple . . . but if that in itself was true then why was I still so nervous . . .? It must have been because of how unstable he had been since late.