Chapter 5

"Read what is written, Nedim. Nothing else. Don't add your two cents, don't try to be a hero. We WILL distance ourselves from the Khan brood. That's the only way this mosque will survive," Laith whispered in warning before thrusting a printed sheet into Nedim's hands. 

     "We the community denounce all forms of terrorism that our fellow compatriots have been subjected to. The accused attended this mosque, but was an irregular member. We denounce all that may have any ties to terrorism. That is not our religion," Nedim read aloud and looked at Laith in disbelief. "I'm not reading this. This is basically us admitting that Dawood did all those horrible things. I know you don't like him because he's called you out on your hypocrisy before, but we can't throw him under the bus. I am sur ehe did nothing wrong." 

     "Looks like we're looking for a new imam, aren't we?" Laith growled. 

     "Nedim, what's going on?" Lana asked once she entered her husband's office. Nedim gulped involuntarily. The last thing he needed was to be emasculated in front of his wife by a member of his congregation. 

     "Sister Lana, talk some sense into your husband or vacate your house. We will not tolerate an imam who talks back," Laith relied curtly before storming out of the room. 

     Nedim had never wanted to hit anyone as much as he wanted to hit Laith. He wasn't a violent sort because he truly believed in leading by example. If he was rude and crude, it would only be a matter of time before the youth mimicked their leader. He needed to stand up for Dawood. He knew that, but he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

     "What's going on, Nedim?" Lana asked softly. Her husband was frustrated, that much was evident, but she saw something new in his eyes. Was it a spark of violence? What had caused her humble husband to come to the point of violence.

     "They want me to denounce Dawood. As if he really is responsible," Nedim whispered in disbelief. "They want me to forsake one of the closest friends I had in this community. It doesn't help that the Hashemis already think that I've forsaken Dawood, Iman, and Khadijah. Khadijah is like a daughter to me. She's no different than Leijla. How could I willingly forsake her?"

     "Nedim. I understand your situation. I do and I would never encourage you to do anything wrong," Lana whispered.

      Nedim gnawed on his bottom lip and ran a hand over his face,

     "I hear a but coming."

     "But you have to look at your own family first. We cannot afford for you to get fired because you clashed with the Board of Directors. Damir, Emir, and Leijla deserve stability. What is happening with Dawood is horrible, but something sinister is afoot, Nedim. Why else would the government be so quick to blame one of their own soldiers? They took everything from him and left his family penniless. I can't lose you. Our children can't lose you. Please don't become another Dawood," Lana whispered adamantly. 

     Nedim finally raised his eyes to look at his wife and felt his color pale. Standing wordlessly behind his wife was one of the most fearsome and well-respected women in the community, both Muslim and not. She had a blank expression on her face as she studied both Nedim and Lana. She adjusted her uniform, a military issue combat uniform, and adjusted his military issue hijab. 

     "Do not become another Dawood?" Rana whispered softly. Her tone sent chills down Lana's spine as the young mother turned around in a hurry. Her eyes connected with Rana's jade ones and she could see something similar to fury hiding behind green veils. 

     "I meant no disrespect, Sister Rana," Lana whispered quickly. 

     Rana stood still and continued studying the nervous pair. She had arrived to speak to someone logical, thinking Nedim would be the one. She was mistaken. It seemed as if the imam was thinking of his family first, his congregation second. She exhaled forcefully and turned around without a word. She would fight this battle on her own. She would find Dawood and she would not rely on the imam for any support. Nedim raised his eyebrows in surprise once Rana began to leave without a sound and nearly called out for her. The tall soldier paused and without turning back whispered, 

     "Dawood is in this predicament because he was kind and his brother, Sulaiman, sold him for self gain. There's no way you could ever be Dawood."