Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I brought the glass of water to my lips, when suddenly, everything in the kitchen started shaking violently. Making the glass in my hand shake and spill water all over my face and shirt. I coughed and spluttered, wiping the water away with my shirt. What the heck was that?

I stopped for a minute to feel anything, then shrugged. Deciding that it was just a momentary shake, I brought the glass to my lips again when everything jolted. Making the water splash all over my face, I blinked the water away from my eyes and wiped my face off with my shirt.

Then everything kept vibrating, what the heck was going on?

I scowled in annoyance and settled the glass over the counter top, waiting for all the rumbling to stop. My first thought was, that it might have been an earthquake. But if that was the case, people would have already been outside.

Heck, my mom would've thrown me outside to save myself. But, obviously, my mom was on the couch reading a book as if all the vibrations were the usual Monday morning stuff. Something was definitely off.

The glass rattled on the counter top and fell off, shattering beside my feet. I yelped in surprise, and jumped back, thankfully, I was wearing my converses so my feet were fine. As soon as the shock settled in, I glared at the shattered pieces and turned around.

I stalked off towards the living room to find my mom, the shattered glass was the final straw, I needed to know what was going on.

For a week, my mom's been acting weird. She's constantly on the phone, everyday she brings home a lot of fliers that she doesn't let me see, she has been out a lot.

I kept asking her what was up, but she always dismissed it, saying that it was nothing. I tried a couple of times, then gave up. What was the point of asking when I was going to get the same answer each and every time?

My mom wasn't in the living room, so I decided to look through the screen doors and see for myself what the hell the ruckus was about.

I have no idea why we even had a screen door, there wasn't even a pool outside, just our backyard. I had begged my mom for one, but she declined, saying that it was pointless and a waste of money.

Well, having a pool in my backyard sure doesn't seem like a waste of money to me. I had told her that, but she said that I could waste our money at the public pool. Like hell I was going to do that, the lifeguard gave me the heebie-jeebies, I swear he kidnapped people.

I looked outside and squinted against the sun, my jaw dropped at the sight. There was a huge hole in my backyard.

I threw the screen doors open and looked around, there was a huge tractor, a lot of construction equipment and a lot of men. Digging a giant hole in my backyard.

I continued to gape at the scene before me, what the heck?

There was a loud crash, and I looked over to see more equipment being dropped in my backyard. I shifted my gaze back to the hole. The men kept digging and drilling and making all kinds of horrific sounds.

Someone called my name and I looked over, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I spotted my neighbor and friend covered in dirt, sweating and holding a shovel against his shoulder.

"Buck?" I asked as soon as he reached me, eyeing him curiously, "What're you doing here?"

He shrugged and jutted his thumb behind him, "I'm helping my dad with this thing. Why're you so surprised?"