Chapter 29

Chapter 29

 I spent the entire summer with my grandparents working on getting passed my doldrums.  It was difficult to say the least but my grandparents knew what went down and did their best to help me. My Grampy and I spent most of our days fixing up their shed. It needed boards replaced, windows taken out, painting done, the complete works. Mostly I did my work in silence only thinking on Puck and the hurt that was still fresh within me. Nana was just the most amazing woman ever. She took care of me talked with me and comforted me when I needed it. I love my grandparents more than anything. No one could ever be more special. Grampy treated everything like always did. With humor and a light heart. Ever since I was little I could never be angry or sad around him. It was just impossible. Sure enough when summer wound down I found that I wasn’t in so much pain. Sure I wouldn’t get over it for a long time but still I was able to be back to my normal self. Well, for the most part. On the day before I had to head back home we all sat on their front porch watching the sunset. It was peaceful and I would miss this place as soon as I left.

“You know Savannah, I have only seen one other girl so upset like you. Do you know who that was?” My Nana asked looking down at me from over her newspaper. I looked up expectant. Within about two weeks of coming here my constant frown had melted away. They brought the happiness out of me again and it helped me not to think about Puck.

“Who?” I inquired leaning against the railing beside the steps.

“Me.” She replied with a small smile. I wore the same one at times when I felt cheeky.

“You?” I asked a little confused.

“But you and Grampy have always been together. I mean how could someone break your heart…” I trailed off when I started to realize what she was saying.

“Your Grampy and I weren’t always like we are now. No not at all. There was that one point in time when I thought that he didn’t love me anymore and I was distraught for weeks and weeks. It resembled a lot of what you are going through. We just have to stay strong and trust our hearts. Noah may have made a mistake and a big one but we all make mistakes Savannah. Who knows, one day you may end up like us.” She finished smiling and resting her head on Grampy’s shoulder. I couldn’t help but grin watching them.

“But that’s just it. Puck and I aren’t you and Grampy. We are Puck and Savannah, he is a player and I am the one who got played so I am definitely not seeing us being like you as much as would like that.” I answered with a sigh. She gave me a part on the shoulder and stood to go back into the house.

“Know who you are Savannah, you’re getting old enough now to figure out exactly who you are going to be. Follow your heart.” And with that she went back inside leaving Grampy and I there wondering what she meant. Know who I am? I thought I knew who I was, but unfortunately it is getting harder and harder to remember who that is.

 During the summer I had shut my phone off so absolutely no one could get in touch with me. I was glad I did it because I needed to get away. The drama of high school was both ridiculous and tiring. I was sure Michaela and Kate had tried to call me as well as Puck… Oh well, I did what I did and I wouldn’t regret it. Now that summer was pretty much over and all I had to do was go school shopping and prepare for yet another hellish school year. Last year I got a broken leg, called a bad words, one of my best friends turned into an enemy, and my heart was in shatters. Gotta love it.

 The next morning my family came to get me. Kyle actually got me a rose because he missed me. That of course broke my heart. Poor baby. I had missed my family that for sure but it wasn’t like I didn’t talk to them or they didn’t visit, which they did but still it was a long time to be away. My family stayed and visited for a while with my Aunts and Uncles who also came down to say hi. I spent a bit of the time packing and thinking about my near future returning back to the place that caused so many problems for me. How would I react to seeing Puck again? It still stung to even think about his name but I knew I had to push through. No one could know exactly how bad it felt. Absolutely no one. My rep would be ruined if they knew how much I truly did love him. I’d be branded as another knock off of Puck’s playboy schemes. I could not have that and would not have it. Puck did his damage to me and I spent the summer recuperating and trying to move on.

 We made it home around 11:00 that night because we ended up staying a little later than we should have. I didn’t blame my mom though, there are only certain times that she can make the trip down there to visit so it was cool to let her stay as long as we could. I tossed my bags on my bed and looked around my room taking in the smells of it. I really did miss my room if nothing else. The purple, black and white furniture and décor were just the way I left them.

I sighed again I threw myself on my bed exhausted from the car ride. Mom and dad had kept me in the loop as far as recent things with my friends went. Apparently Michaela and Jared were now a couple and Joshua and Kate were still going strong. They hadn’t heard from Danica and I could definitely see why she wasn’t my old friend anymore. A new enemy is what she really was. As for Puck, he had come over to hang out with them too. As a matter of fact every other weekend and some weeknights he dropped by. Figures. He kept asking about me so they say but I think he just wanted to see if I had committed suicide of something. Sorry, I love him but I’d never do that. Ever, no matter who the guy was. I shook my head and looked over to my nightstand to shut the light off but I stopped looking at the picture of Puck I had put in about a week before I ended it. He wore his letterman jacket and his ‘I’m the bomb’ expression that I loved so much and a tear came to my eye.

“No Savannah, your better than that.” I said wiping any trace of tears away. I couldn’t go back to that horrible place I was a couple months ago. I couldn’t. It wasn’t me and it wasn’t right. Now I kind of had an idea of how Bella felt like in Twilight only my Edward was just a user and a jerk.

“I may not be over you, but I can act like I am.” I spoke to Puck’s picture and knocked it over so I didn’t have to look at it and shut the light off and eventually finding sleep.

************************

The next day mom took me school shopping. I got my regular notebooks and mechanical pencils (because I never used anything else) and whatever other junk I needed to start junior year. I turned 17 on August 1st so my Nana and Grampy had a small party for me, which my family came down for as well as my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Bianca, my cousin with the loser of a dad was there and apparently my parents had made arrangements for her to come live with us. She would take the spare room beside mine and she would share my bathroom. It was kind of exciting to have another girl just about my age around, especially my favorite cousin. She would be coming the on Friday and seeing today was Wednesday I didn’t have much time to help prepare for her coming. Perhaps having someone else to look out for would help me. A girl like Bianca would definitely more things to do so that was great for both of us.

 The next day, Thursday to be exact mom and I went clothes shopping. I had earned quite a bit of money because I helped Grampy with the shed so I had some extra to spend. Of course I would take Bianca the weekend she got here but this was something mom and I did together every year. I had decided that this year I was going to be something completely different than normal. Hey, my entire high school life has been spent hiding who I am so junior year would be spent in a new role. And that role was? Badass. Yes, I decided that instead of playing the unnoticed, sporty, unpopular girl I would be the complete opposite. I would make Puck pay for what he did and let me tell you, it would work. I even cut my hair. Yes, it is no longer long but now kind of short. It worked but part of me wondered why exactly I did it. I didn’t really realize a lot of things I was doing as far as clothes I was buying and changes I was making. Perhaps the thought of getting days and days closer to seeing Puck sent me into a weird psycho meltdown? Who knows?

 Bianca arrived Friday afternoon and she seemed even more nervous than usual. The poor thing didn’t like change, she never did. Mom and I were able to finish her room just in the nick of time thank God for that too. I knew Bianca rather well and her taste in things too so doing her room wasn’t too much guessing work. I knew she would add her own things here and there, which is what we wanted but on the whole it wasn’t too bad.

She nearly freaked out when she saw it. It made both my mom and I very happy to see her so glad. For someone who didn’t have a whole lot in her life this was a big step up for her and I was eager to do whatever I could to help. That included saving her from heartbreakers. Puck to be exact. I knew Puck would have his sights set on her when he sees her but let me tell you, no one messes with my family. He already did his damage with me and I wouldn’t allow him to claim Bianca too. Even if I had to see him more than I wanted I would do it. He was Puck and I would do my best to be the new Savannah. The one who didn’t care one lick about him. Yea, let’s see how that works out…