20- First Day of New Life

Chapter Twenty:

First Day of New Life:

~Ryan~

“So where is the girlfriend?” Evan asked ask he drowned his fries in ketchup.

“She doesn’t go here anymore,” I said biting into my pizza.

“What do you mean she doesn’t go here?” Seph asked angrily. He covered it up quickly with, “She went here last week. Did she move or something?”

“No.”

“Then come on, where is this chick then?” Dennis asked. Sadie was perched on his lap eating his lunch. He didn’t seem to mind.

“She got into some special dance program. It conflicts with school, so she’s going to be homeschooled from now on,” I said. Telling them Danielle’s fake story was easy.

“Oh good for her,” Sadie said.

“Why is it starting now?” Seph asked in suspicion. It was hard to be in love with the same girl. He wanted to know everything about her, and I just happened to know that everything.

“It’s supposed to train them through the summer so they don’t have to waste time in the fall,” I said lying easily.

“That’s smart,” Sadie said.

“So she’s just gone?” Evan asked.

“Yeah.”

“Why is it that you two just happen to start dating, the week before she leaves school?” Seph asked. His suspicion was growing.

“Did you know she was leaving last week?” Dennis asked.

“Yeah she told me last weekend.”

“So you asked her out when it just happened to be on the week she left?” Evan accused.

“That’s what pushed me to ask her out. I wanted to be a bigger part of her life.”

“So why didn’t you tell any of us this?” Dennis asked.

“Danielle wanted her last week to be normal. So she chose not to tell people. She only told her friends and me.”

“So when are you seeing her? If she can’t come to school because of dance, when are you going to see her?” Seph asked. He was really trying to trap me in a lie.

“She has weekends off and every second day she gets home early,” I said lying through my teeth.

“So you’re seeing her tomorrow?” Dennis confirmed.

“No, today, Wednesday, and Friday,” I said automatically because that gave me the most days out of the week.

“She said the other day that her schedule always changes,” Sadie said.

“Yeah it does. It might be different days next week. I don’t know.” Man, this lying thing was hard.

“At least it will be easy if you guys ever break up,” Seph said. “You can just say you forgot what days she was free.”

“That’s not a fair. You shouldn’t lie to people like that. Just tell them the truth,” Sadie said. For the rest of lunch they argued how to treat a girlfriend.

~Danielle~

Everything is so strange right now. I don’t think that will ever change.

Mom and Dad moved my bed and other important things down from my room into the office. The office now shares a room with the family room we never use.