Part 21

Sunlight is pouring into my bedroom. I'm cuddled up to a naked chest that is rising and falling in deep sleep. Blushing, the night before comes back to me.

Stretching, my muscles protest in a delicious way and my hand goes up to my neck. There, right where my shoulder and neck meet, I feel my mark. There's a slight ridge and the whole area is sore. But not bad, more like a healing bruise than anything.

I turn my head and study Aedan. He's still asleep and it's no surprise. We were up half of the night. My thoughts go to the night before. I'm starting to get all tingly when I realize that he's awake.

My eyes jump to Aedans and I feel my cheeks heat up.

With a huge grin, he leans down and gives me a soft kiss. "Morning, Luna."

"Morning, Alpha. " I reply softly. Oh boy. How is one supposed to act the morning after with one's mate? Cause I have no idea. Do I act nonchalant? Or maybe I'm supposed to be all clingy female now? Ick. I hope not...

"Just be yourself," He's chuckling.

Wait a minute... I narrow my eyes at him. "What's going on?"

"I wasn't sure, it doesn't always happen with human mates, but apparently we got lucky. I can hear you." He goes silent, but I clearly hear his voice in my head, "and I'm guessing you can hear me."

I frown. I'm not sure I like having someone in my head with me.

"You can turn it on and off whenever you want. Concentrate. Sometimes it helps to envision a door opening or closing." He's still grinning at me.

Quickly, I picture my front door slamming shut. "Can you hear me, now?" I think. I sound like that annoying commercial.

Aedan's fingers start to lightly trace the bite on my shoulder, but he doesn't answer my question. I'll take that as a good sign.

"Does this hurt?"

"No," I smile reassuringly at him. "Not at all."

"Good. It should be completely healed in a day or two. There will be a scar, but it will barely be visible to the human eye. But shifters will be able to make it out clearly." He sounds satisfied with himself.

"Well, aren't you just proud of yourself," I tease him lightly.

He leans over me and gives me a kiss that has my head feeling slightly foggy. "I am," He purrs near my ear, before settling back onto his side.

"It's late. We need to get up," Changing the subject, I throw the covers back. And expose my naked body. Geeze, like I wasn't already feeling awkward. I try to pull the sheet along with me to the bathroom, but Aedan easily tugs it out of my hands. With a squeak, I hurry into the bathroom and shut the door. Before I can turn the shower on, I think I hear his deep chuckle coming from the bedroom.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Aedan POV

The most stressful day of my life managed to turn into the best night of my life. Funny, how life has a way of throwing in little twists and turns. I'm feeling more relaxed and like myself than I have since meeting Liz. Even my wolf has quieted down. He still wants out, but now that we've marked our mate, he's content to wait a little longer.

Liz is taking a shower. I decide to surprise her with breakfast when she gets out. I want to feed her this morning. Jumping up, I pull on my jeans and go downstairs. Just as I walk into the kitchen, the door swings open. Hope wiggles her way inside, followed by Braden.

"Alpha. I was just walking..." He starts to greet me but breaks off, nose twitching. I know he can smell Liz all over me, but it would be unbelievably rude to mention it. He clears his throat, "I was just walking Hope. I'll head back outside now." He ducks out the door in a rush.

He closes the door softly. Good. I can only imagine how embarrassed Liz would be to know that shifters are going to smell us on each other. Not information that she needs today. I'm glad that I can count on the pack to show respect for their Luna. There may not be many of us, but we have been close since early childhood. We will always have each other's backs in whatever way needed.

Hope has settled by the door, chewing on a ragged old toy. I guess Braden has seen to her needs already this morning. But it's not surprising. Taking care of each other is the way of the pack. That dog is important to Liz, so she's important to everyone.

Turning to the counter, I put some bread in the toaster. I fill two bowls with already cut up fruit from the fridge and then butter the toast when it pops from the toaster. Grabbing two bottles of water, I carry everything to the table just in time to hear her coming down the steps.

She walks into the kitchen in her usual t-shirt and ponytail and I can clearly see the upper edge of the mark on her neck. Hmm, I definitely find that sexy as hell. I grab her arm and swing her around the kitchen before setting her in one of the chairs. Her laughing is music to my ears.

I sit next to her and, with a dramatic flourish, stab a piece of fruit and offer it to her. She takes the bite and chews, smiling up at me. I'm grinning down at her like a lovesick fool, and I couldn't be happier.

We sit there like that, eating and not really talking, for several minutes. The silence is comfortable.

When her cellphone rings, it makes us both jump. She jumps up and picks the phone up off of the counter, looking at it briefly. Tapping the screen, she answers. "Hi Anna."

I recognize the name. It's her best friend and twin sister to Matt, the guy I nearly lost it on the day we stacked hay in her barn.

My hearing clearly picks up the feminine voice on the other end. "Liz! You are alive. I haven't heard from you in days. I was getting worried."

"I'm sorry, Anna. I've been, um, preoccupied." She shoots a glance my way. We've already discussed the need to be discreet. If the general world knew about shifters, it probably would not go well for us.

"Preoccupied? The last I hear from you, we talk about that idiot who's following you around, then you drop off the face of the earth." Her voice is getting louder.

"I know. I really am sorry. There's been a lot going on these past few days."

"I've been worried. I almost called Matt and told him to come check in on you." Liz's friend is almost shrieking now. "Why you refuse to call the police I'll never understand. You're so isolated out there, something could happen, and it would be forever before anyone found out."

"Anna..." More yelling from the phone cuts her off. Anyone, even her best friend, talking to my mate like that is going to get on my bad side in a hurry. I think it's time for an intervention.

She's holding the phone away from her ear, scowling at it. Walking closer, I raise my voice just enough that I'm sure it will carry over the phone, "Hey, Liz. Is that your friend, Anna? Tell her I said hi."

The yelling from the phone cuts off. Dead silence. Sending me a grateful look, she puts the phone back to her ear. "Anna? Aedan says hi."

I hear a much more subdued, "Um, hi?" Mission accomplished.

I like the tone of the conversation I'm eavesdropping on a lot better now. Liz's friend is surprised, but when Liz assures her that she "really likes" me, she sounds pleased. I snort, 'really likes'. Ha.

Now seems like as good a time as any to check in with the guys. I think this phone conversation is going to be a while. Gesturing toward the door, I give Liz a quick peck on the forehead, and slip outside.

******************************

Vote, comment, fan... you know the drill ♡

Things are about to get complicated... get ready...