~15~

Hades had trouble hiding his grin as he escorted Lexi into the formal dining room. The Maxwells had set out a holiday feast to impress even the most discriminating god. A pair of horse and chariot-shaped candelabras stood at either end of the massive table, which had been cloaked in a thick, burgundy tablecloth with gold embroidery. The plates and serving bowls were also trimmed in gold, and the wine goblets appeared to be forged from actual blocks of gold. He wouldn't be surprised if the set had come directly from Olympus.

Hades had no trouble locating the champagne chillers, which were tucked into each corner of the room, allowing quick access by the wait staff. Servants wearing formal attire bustled around the table laying down large trays of food. The smells were more intoxicating than the three glasses of champagne he had already consumed.

Lexi sat to Hades's left and Kade managed to snap up the chair on her other side. Hades knew Kade would view Lexi as a potential consort, just as Hades had done three months prior. Although, he recalled wistfully that what had started out as a mission to deflower a young female became a swift and steady plunge into passionate love. Lexi had an enchanting manner that could rival any goddess, which worried him and probably contributed to his consumption of more champagne than he had intended.

Across from Hades, Dion pulled out a chair for Clary, then quickly dropped into the seat beside her, while Z observed the entire ritual from the head of the table. Hades knew Z had orchestrated Clary's invitation, and it was only a matter of time before Lexi asked Clary about her life in the underworld and the reasons she left.

Of course, Clary would answer Lexi honestly, because that was what the goddess of honesty did. Hades glanced down the table and met his brother's stony gaze. The arrogant smirk Z offered left no doubt in Hades's mind that a challenge had been issued. Perhaps another drink wouldn't hurt.

The kitchen door opened and Chef Pastille carried in an enormous, golden-skinned turkey. There came a collective gasp as he set the platter in the center of the table and instructed his second in command, Tomas, to ready the carving knives.

"I am very pleased to serve you the most delicious turkey you will sink your teeth into," said the chef. "My staff and I have taken great pride in bringing you this meal, and we wish you bon appetit."

As Tomas began carving the turkey, Lexi grabbed Chef Pastille's hand and offered her personal thanks, telling him how much she missed his cooking. He told her that to compare his cooking to the cooking at the boarding school would be like comparing a yacht to a rowboat. Clearly, the staff at the Maxwell estate were being kept in the dark about Lexi's new life.

The meal commenced and conversation waned as everyone enjoyed the delicacies set before them, which were undeniably delicious. Hades couldn't help noticing how often Kade asked if Lexi needed anything, and he must have commented on the chef's amazing culinary skills ten times. Hades waved down a waitress, holding up his goblet for a refill of champagne. He didn't often imbibe to the point of drunkenness, but pairing it with a hearty dose of food provided ample justification.

When the clinking of forks subsided, Z piped up, speaking to Lexi's surrogate father sitting at the opposite end of the table. "I wonder if we could have some privacy, Charles." He gestured to the wait staff standing at the ready, and Charles quickly dismissed them. Once the kitchen door had closed, Z addressed Kade.

"Tell me, Kade, are you planning a visit to the underworld anytime soon? I can see my way to permitting it now that hunting season has officially started. Our reserves at the palace are dwindling, and I know what a crack shot you are."

Kade shrugged. "I hadn't given it much thought until just recently." He offered Lexi a crooked smile, which had Hades clenching his fingers around his goblet. "A little hunting adventure sounds like the perfect distraction. What do you say, Hades? Are you ready to pick up a bow again and join me?"