Now that a quieter moment had presented itself, it was clear to both of us that we were each simply reprieved of worry for the other. Neither of us felt the need to continue conversation. It was enough to lie in each other's arms and watch the warm crimson light of approaching dawn trickle in through the gap in the curtains.

This time, the sight of morning light brought me immense peace of mind. I tightened my arms around Dark, and promptly fell asleep on a warm, soft cloud.

~oOo~

Upon awaking again in the darkened room, I was calmer. The distantly remembered comfort of a lifetime ago was still an odd feeling. Like stepping into an old pair of shoes and finding the sole imprints still match perfectly. I relaxed into the pillows, stretching my limbs with a sigh. I opened my eyes to see the muted canopy above the bed.

It felt good to lie there in comfort, safety, with the blankets covering me, the canopy above me, the curtains drawn, dousing the outside light. Judging from the greyish quality of the light, it was nearing midday. With another sigh, I tore my eyes away from the canopy and sat up, taking another look around. Dark was gone; his side of the bed was neatly made up.

My feet hit the floor. My toes curled in at the chill; I walked, with my arms crossed tightly around me, to the vanity. I rummaged through it to find what I was seeking: a candle. Lighting it, I continued my exploration of the room. The hearth hadn't been lit that morning, but it didn't surprise me. Whoever owned this house likely had few servants.

As for who owned the house, I hadn't a clue. I hadn't asked for a name in the chaos of our arrival. By my reckoning, it had only been two days since our escape from the Port Royal garrison. Considering Dark's condition, Sykes had taken us to the nearest safe house he knew of. It had taken more than a day to shake off our pursuers. After our arrival, all I had cared about was Dark. And sleep. There hadn't been time for anything else.

Shoving open the curtains, I had to shield myself from the light. When my eyes adjusted, the view they drank in was spectacular. The Caribbean sparkled at me, an idyllic bluish-green. Only the dusty white color of the beach separated the water from the darker, fuller green of the palms, rocking lazily in the ocean air. Another speck of colors on the beach caught my attention, and I chuckled quietly when I identified it.

After finding my clothes, I dressed quickly and slipped downstairs. The house was strangely empty, but I managed to navigate my way to the back of the house, where French doors opened onto a charming little porch facing the beach. From there it wasn't hard to traipse down to the water's edge.

~oOo~

"Interesting spot to spend your morning," I said as I approached.

Dark opened one eye and chuckled. "I was restless. Didn't want to wake you." He stretched luxuriously in the hammock he occupied, one arm behind his head, the other dragging in the powder-like sand. He'd discarded his boots and shirt, enjoying the sun's warmth like a content cat.

I sat on the hammock next to him, lifting my feet up to swing a little. "How's your shoulder?" I asked. My eyes flickered to the hastily dressed wound in the shoulder of his hanging arm.

"Bandage makes it itchy," he complained, closing his eyes again. I didn't miss the wince.

"And hard to sleep?" I prompted.

"Mm," he grunted ambiguously.

I reached over the gap to peel back the bandage very gently, asking, "Are you still feverish?"