~10~

The limo waited at the employee entrance of Monkey Paw Gorge. It was the last place Lexi saw before she entered the realm that time forgot, and she immediately felt at home. It was after hours, but Ham had pulled into a distant corner of the parking lot, dangerously close to the woods. Lexi knew how much her family's chauffeur loved his limo, so he must have had a good reason for keeping a low profile.

Hades didn't say much once the horses had dropped them off in a remote area of the park, and Lexi knew he was giving her time to absorb her reentry into the mortal world. His keen awareness of her needs never ceased to amaze her. That's what eternity did to a god, and she was damned grateful for it, although she knew he was nervous she might bolt.

As they approached the limo, the driver's door opened, and Ham stepped out. Dressed in his navy suit and matching chauffeur's hat, he greeted them with a careful smile, which Lexi interpreted as his Where the hell have you been, young lady? look. Did he know where Lexi had been? Was he privy to the secret of the gods?

"Hi, Ham. It's good to see you." Lexi gave him a hug, which she only did when they weren't in public. It was a rule he had, but he still stiffened up in her arms. Did he think Hades would smote him or something?

"You look well, Miss Lexi," he said, stepping back cautiously. "Maybe a little thinner."

"I'm not thinner. How are Mom and Dad? Is Dion already at the house?"

Ham's stoic demeanor faltered as he glanced at the back door of the limo, putting Lexi on alert. She had been cut-off from her family for three months. Anything could have happened. Why hadn't she thought to ask about mail service? Didn't Sir Henry handle that sort of thing? Hermes, rather? Had she been lovestruck all this time? She was worse than Jenny Rogan.

"Your family is at the house and doing well," Ham said before true panic set-in, and Lexi exhaled as Ham reached for her bag. When he opened the door, Lexi discovered why he was behaving so strangely. They were not alone.

Zeus and his bearded bulk took up half the backseat, and he had invited one of Lexi's favorite girlfriends, Nora, who Lexi recently learned was Mnemosyne, the titaness. But there was more. Another young woman sat across from them who Lexi didn't recognize, but Hades seemed to, based on the stunned expression he wore when he noticed her.

"It's so good to see you, Lexi." Mnemosyne greeted her first, which was not unusual. She had always been gracious and cheerful. "I thought I would surprise you with a visit on this delicious occasion. And Zeus was quite adamant that I bring my daughter, Clary, to meet you."

Lexi's heart nearly stopped when she heard the name, and she couldn't help staring dumbly at the young woman as she slid in next to her. She was lovely. No argument there, with long blonde hair done in a neat braid, flawless bone structure with no help from makeup, and huge brown eyes that stared into your soul. Lexi was certain she was the same goddess who lived in the underworld as Hades's consort. The Clary who returned to Olympus, abandoning him and the north tower bedroom.

"It is lovely to meet you, Lexi," Clary said. "My mother has told me many wonderful things about you."

"Oh. That was nice of her." Lexi smiled at the two goddesses, although her mind was still processing the moment, and all the while, Hades stood at the door, his face sedate and his posture rigid. Lexi had spent enough time with him to know he was processing too, and she ignored her butt-headed father, who sat with his arms folded across his burly chest looking immensely pleased with himself, and coaxed Hades into the limo with a wave.

"I'm glad you all could come. I love Thanksgiving," Lexi said, quickly bringing up a topic that wouldn't start a fight. "My family makes a big deal out of it. Who doesn't love mass quantities of delicious food, right?"

She stopped herself from rambling further when Ham rolled the limo away from the shrubbery. These were the gods she was speaking to. They were like royalty to the mortals, only with the power to control nature and cause general mayhem. Yes, she was a god too, but she didn't feel like one.

"Have you been enjoying yourself in the underworld?" Mnemosyne asked, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. She was wearing the unlikely duo of orange and violet, but she pulled it off nicely, pairing it with strands of oversized gold beads. Real gold, no doubt.

"It's unlike any other place I've been to," Lexi said. "Vast, unspoiled wilderness. Mythological creatures. And the nymphs are the greatest. Every day I wake up feeling like I'm living in a fairy tale. The one where the villain is banned." She laughed nervously as everyone glanced at Zeus.

"Have you been to the Gate of Ivory, where the souls exit the underworld?" Clary asked. "That was one of my favorite spots to visit. It's very peaceful there."

"No, I haven't, but I'll put it on the list. It grows every day...the list." Lexi inhaled deeply, trying to lose the feeling she was being strangled with an endless strand of gold beads, and she realized she had not actually answered Mnemosyne's question. "So, yes. I am enjoying myself there."

Lexi turned to Hades and found him engaged in a staring match with Zeus. He was livid, but he wouldn't make a scene here. He would behave like a gentleman, maybe taking Zeus aside later to say his piece, but Hades would not challenge his bully of a brother. That was kind of how Lexi landed in the underworld.

She gently slipped her hand into his, and he squeezed her fingers a little less gently. Then Lexi risked a glance at Zeus, and he was ready for her, smirking behind his beard. He would have better luck pulling off the pompous god look if he didn't hide behind that hair. Or, maybe that was the point. Lexi felt Clary's gaze as well, although Clary wasn't looking at her. She was looking at Hades, and this continued until the estate appeared at the end of the drive where Lexi tucked away all the unhelpful feelings and let herself be happy to be home.

Hades had the door open before Ham came to a full stop, and he hopped out like his butt was on fire. "My lady," he said as he flourished his hand at Lexi, encouraging her out of the limo with his beckoning eyes. A few butterflies took flight inside her belly, and when she found her balance, he kissed her chastely on the mouth. By the time she was recovering from his chivalry, Ham was there to assist everyone else, and Hades walked Lexi to the door with purpose. Whatever he was doing to combat the awkwardness, it wasn't working on her.

"I plan to have fun this weekend," she said. "I hope you will join me."

Hades offered her a smile that she saw right through. "My purpose here is to serve you, Lexi. If you are happy then I am happy. I only hope they put us in the same bedroom."

Lexi nudged his arm playfully. "If not, we can always use the limo."

"