Alaina tries to smile, but it only leaves her coughing up crimson blood, pouring it's sticky contents onto Blade's hands and feet.

Nothing could be done as the moon shone down on the ship, gloating as the show continued. It had watched in anticipation as the crew had fallen one by one, and now... now it was time for the finale.

"STOP!"

Blade looks up through tear-brimmed eyes to see Cain falling to the ground, his hands covering his ears. Blade frowns in confusion, then looks up at Eris to see that she was confused as well.

"STOP!"

He yells at the top of his lungs again. The veins in his neck were popping out as Blade watched his friend writhed in pain, his fingers digging into his scalp.

"Cain?" Eris asks, confused.

Cain doesn't reply, instead he grunts in pain. It was like he was trying to prevent something from happening, trying to suppress the pain inside him.

Alaina coughs again and Blade looks down at her. His eyes meet hers, which were zipping back and forward to his pants, as if she were trying to tell him something. Blade frowns in confusion.

"Cain fight it," hisses Eris. "Fight it, conceal the beast."

"I... I CAN'T!" Cain yells in pain again.

What was happening?

Was all that was running through Blade's mind right now. As the seconds drew on and Alaina lay dying by his side, and Cain lay writhing in pain, Blade felt as useless as he'd felt only moments ago, except even more helpless now. But now his mind was working again, this time it was trying to fit things together.

Why was Cain in pain?

Why was he yelling out? Is this what Eris had wanted?

"Cain...," Blade says without thinking.

Cain suddenly looks up into Blade's eyes, confusion lay behind them and for the slightest second, so slight that Blade wasn't actually sure he'd seen it correctly, there was a flash of the old Cain in there.

"Th-the...," Alaina tries to say through mouthfuls of blood.

"Cain listen to me," Eris says as she walks over to him, her hand resting on his shaking back.

Meanwhile his eyes were on Blade's, who wasn't looking away. There was something he was trying to tell him and he knew it. He knew that the old Cain was in there somewhere, but how was he going to get him out?

"Blade," Alaina says.

Blade looks down at her and strokes her paling features. Her eyes were losing their colour by the second, her once hazel eyes were turning to a dark brown. Her face was paler than normal and Blade knew... he knew that he couldn't do anything for her.

So all he could do was sit there and watch as the reaper took her for himself. Her eyes were slowly fluttering shut as she tried to tell him something, but he kept telling her to be quiet.

"It's okay," he says with tears in his eyes. His blood coated fingers were trembling as they slid over her face time and time again.

"V-vial," she says.

Blade swallows as she struggles to speak to him, but he wasn't taking note of her words. He was to absorbed in her that he couldn't really comprehend her words.

But then it struck him, like a piercing arrow. His heart jumped and flipped in his chest as hope filled him. His eyes brightened up as he instantly went to find the small vial in his pocket. Alaina started to shake in his arms, the shivers riding right up his spine.