Chapter 16 - A Night to Remember

A/N: And we are almost halfway through. At least I hope so. Well, anyways, here's another chapter. I hope you guys like it as much as I do.

Don't forget to leave me a star and those pretty entertaining comments, lovelies! They really make my day. You are all awesome and beautiful. Thanks so much for the support and patience especially when I'm updating late. I really love you guys!

Until next time!

Adieu

- saphire

PS: This is unedited so there might be some typos and grammatical errors. If you see one, don't hesitate to tell me.

-------

George, Lilian, and I headed back to the house. We were laughing about a story that Lilian said. It was about how dad embarrassed himself in the hallways when they were still students, trying to follow mom. Even though I'm laughing, I can't help but think that dad was so sweet back then.

It's still a shock to me that George would tell me the truth but I didn't mind. At least I knew what they think about me the first time we met. It's also still foreign to me to call George 'dad' because I'm so used to not call anyone by that. I was an orphan after all.

I excused myself from them when I saw Ezekiel looking at us with a weird look. I checked the parents to see if they noticed Zee, and they did. I was still smiling when I got near him.

"What happened?" He asked when I sat next to him. "Nothing, I'm just happy, that's all." I replied. He gave me a skeptic look but didn't push it.

"Hey, I just want to tell you something." He spoke so I turned my attention to him, he was looking ahead. I followed his gaze and saw that he was watching his parents getting all lovey-dovey with each other. "Why don't we just enjoy this vacation since I didn't get to enjoy it last time?" He suggested, now looking at me.

"Well, that's not a pretty bad idea. What's the sudden change of heart?" I was now the one who was looking at the parents. I felt his gaze on me but I didn't show that he was making me fidgety.

"Well, let's just say, I want to prove something to someone." He said. I got curious as to what he meant so I asked him, "something like what?" I was still not looking at him and I felt he wasn't either.

"Something that I told him earlier." He replied which made me snap my head to him and frowned. "What do you mean?" I asked him, still frowning. What is this guy up to?

"I mean what I said," was his only reply to me and I looked at him skeptically. He turned to me and smiled a genuine smile that I hadn't seen in him for quite a while. "What are you up to?" I couldn't help but be skeptical. His actions were bothering me and it only worsen when he said what he said earlier.

Hurt flashed in his hazel orbs but it quickly disappeared the moment I realized what it was and averted his gaze from me. Why did I feel a pang on my chest? I suddenly felt guilty for what I said.

"I'm not up to something, so don't worry." He said in a cold, monotone voice. I opened my mouth to say something but no words left it so I closed it and then opened it again just to close it again. I was like a fish that was out of the water.

What was I going to say? I feel like I hurt him at some point but I don't know if it's real or not. Daryl, what should I do?

"Don't ask me, kid. I'm not gonna answer the obvious." He said and that got me depressed. I sighed.

"I'm so –" I didn't finish what I was going to say because he abruptly stood up and went inside the house. I was left there feeling miserable all of a sudden. Ugh, this sucks!