Chapter 5- The Secrets

Clark-

I watched as her eyes fluttered closed. Her long eyelashes fanned out over her cheeks while her perfectly kissable lips were pursed in concentration. She was so beautiful-- I'd felt that the day I met her-- how could I have ever thought that keeping my secret was more important than her.

With her eyes still closed, she massaged her temples and I wondered what was running through that pretty little head of hers. At least she was still standing here, I thought. Perhaps she would give me another chance like I had asked. I was so drawn to her, more so than any other human I'd come in contact with.

"Fine."

"Wh-- What?" I stammered, blinking a few times in confusion. I wasn't sure if she had really agreed or if I had imagined it.

"Fine." She repeated the word slowly as she popped both of her eyes open to look at me. "I'll stay. Unless you'd rather I didn't--"

"No!" I yelled a little harshly as I cut her off. I sped forward and smiled as I looked down at her. "I mean-- no," I tried again, this time more gently as I interlaced her fingers within mine.

She eyed our hands suspiciously but didn't pull away.

"Don't fuck with me, Clark," she warned as she gazed into my soul. "No lies, no running-- and you have to be willing to play a game," she smirked.

"And what game might that be?" I asked cocking an amused eyebrow at her.

"Twenty questions."

***
We trekked the three miles back to her motel room in town and as soon as we got there she collapsed on the bed. When I realized she was wearing heels, I had offered to carry her, but of course she had refused.

I sat down on the edge of the bed next to her, the frame creaking in objection to my weight.

"So when do you want to start this game?" I asked.

She groaned into the pillow before turning to look at me. My heart swelled as she smiled at me but it burst even more as she reached for my hand.

"Well first, we need to shower," she said. "Especially you," she teased. "You smell like you haven't showered in weeks."

I grimaced at that and knew she was probably right.

"So while I take a shower," she continued, "why don't you order some take out?"

I smiled as she squeezed my hand before releasing it. She got off the bed and walked over to the desk, throwing a couple carry out menus in my direction before prancing off to the shower.

"Hey! What would you want?" I called to her as she shut the bathroom door.

"Surprise me," she yelled back and moments later I heard the water turn on.

I shuffled through the menus and finally decided on Chinese but I had absolutely no idea what to order.

"Smorgasbord it is," I muttered.

A couple of minutes later, Rose emerged from the bathroom with nothing more than a towel wrapped around her lithe body. Immediately I could feel a tightness in my pants and as soon as she turned her back to me, I made a mad dash for the bathroom.

God, what the hell was wrong with me, I silently cursed at myself. I hadn't had feelings like this since high school and even then-- I let the cold water run down my body and tried to focus on that instead of her.

A sudden pounding on the room door brought me out of my meditation. Thankfully I had thought to grab my small bag before rushing into the tiny tiled room. I pulled out a pair of gray sweatpants and put them on before stepping out to where Rose was receiving our food.