Gym in not a nightmare anymore

Riley's POV

"Give the damn coffe!", I groan.

"No! You've had enough of them. Why didn't you sleep yestreday?", Zay asks.

I tilt my head to the side.

"I never said that.", I tell him. "What I said is that I didn't sleep enough."

"Yes, but why?", he repeats.

I look away. I hate that I'm blushing.

"Farkle!", we hear Lucas yelling.

Farkle is walking towards us.

"Guys, please tell him something.", he says. "He has already had three coffees."

Oh fuck.

Zay looks at me and I look at the floor. I bite my lip.

"Ugh..." I start. "I--"

"She finished a book I gave her. And she called me to tell me what she thought of it. That's all", Lucas says. What a perfect lie.

"Oh.", Farkle says. "You had a lot of coffees too"

"Yeah.", I murmur.

The bell rings.

I look at the boys.

"Gym", they all answer my silent question.

I groan.

The boys walk behind me and talk about the prom. Farkle s going with Smackle and Zay is taking a girl called Kate. I don't her a lot but Zay has told me she's a good girl.

My eyes find Maya's and she nods, to greet me.

I do the same.

All the students walk in and find their partners. The last time, my partner was Charlie, but now I see with a small annoyance that he is with Missy. I turn my eyes away from them and I see Lucas staring at me, leaning on a wall.

He smiles with the one corner of his mouth and my heart skips a beat.

He takes a step forward and stands next to me. He doesn't ask. We are partners. There is no question.

We start dancing and I'm relieved to see that despite the small amount of sleep I had last night, I remember how to survive the dance.

He smiles satisfied by the fact that I don't step on him or accidently hit him or go left when he goes right. I am completely decent.

When we stop my legs hurt. Lucas and I find Zay, Farkle and Maya standing by a wall, talking. Lucas stands between Farkle and Zay and I stand next to Maya.

Mr. Jones, our trainer, comes close to me and my friends/ We all take a deep breath. The last time this happened she told me that if ever danced with Charlie like that she would kick me out of the Gym.

I had hit the guy pretty hard.

But there is an improvement since then.

"Have been practising?", he asks.

I can't help but look at Lucas. He winks. I blush.

"Not really.", I say smiling.

Lucas laughs but I ignore him. He frowns. He is too old to understand Lucas's laugh or the shine in my eyes.

"Anyway. Good job, Matthews."

"Thank you sir."

He walks away and I turn to look at my friends.