Chapter 1: No Dissenters

Deep in the blackest depths of the ocean, the automatic lights came on in the Thirteenth Continuum, as they had at the same early hour like clockwork, day in and day out, for the last thousand years.

There was no natural light down in the trench, for the sun could not penetrate the miles of saltwater and rock that shielded this remote human outpost. If not for the Animus Machine generating electricity and oxygen, the Aquafarm and the automatic lights, the heating systems and the desalinators, all begat by the Founders, they would have perished long ago. Instead, against all odds and in total isolation, the Thirteenth Continuum had thrived, though it had not grown due to strict population controls.

Nevertheless, much had been forgotten, lost to the long years. For the past has a way of becoming first memory, then history, and eventually legend, before finally fading from the collective remembrance altogether, as if it had never existed at all. This lengthy process of forgetting can be hastened along by acts of willful destruction.

By order of the Synod, all records and properties from Before Doom were destroyed in the Great Purging. The same fate had befallen the submersibles that brought them there. Even speaking the very words—the Surface—had been deemed an offense punishable by being put out to sea, a death sentence in the deep water. The Head Priest of The Church of the Oracle of the Sea had even given his holy blessing to the Synod's decree. And nobody dared to disobey the Church; they knew what fate awaited sinners.

In this way, a millennium had come and gone in the Thirteenth Continuum, and life continued pretty much as it always had, with one exception. Somewhere in the depths of the colony, in a locked chamber where few were permitted to enter, a secret deliberation was taking place.

"How long did he say?" "Eight months. At the most." "It could be less?"

"Yes."

"There will be deaths?"

"If he is to be believed, we shall all perish."

This was met with silence. And then: "Could he be wrong about this?"

"Well, he's never been wrong before. There's no reason to suspect that this time is any different."

"But can he be trusted? That's what I want to know." "There was that incident with his daughter, but she was

punished."

"Not harshly enough, in my opinion."

"Perhaps, but we need him. He's not replaceable. At least. . . not yet."

Another silence engulfed the chamber while they considered how to proceed. It was a few seconds before the one who was their leader spoke.

"I have consulted the Oracle," he pronounced. "It pains me to say it, for our people have already suffered so much, but there is only one course of action—I must have more sacrifices."

This was met with approving murmurs.

"That would lessen the burden on the system." "And appease the Holy Sea."

"All in favor say aye."

Nobody hesitated—their unanimous voices echoed through the chamber, stopped only by the thick barrier of the locked doors. It had been settled then.

There were no dissenters.

***Author's note***

Thank you for reading this chapter from my book! I love your feedback and thoughts, so feel free to comment. If you've enjoyed this chapter, then click on the star to favorite it. Also, please add The 13th Continuum to your library if you'd like to continue reading this story. I'll post more chapters leading up to my post going live on the WattPad Block Party—Winter Edition Part II on 2/27.

The 13th Continuum Publishes on 4/19! Preorder now:

Amazon: http://amzn.com/1681622548

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-13th-continuum-jennifer-brody/1123141213?ean=9781681622545

IndieBound: http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781681622545