31

"Jenna! You have to stop!!"

I'm doubled over, I can't stop giggling.

I feel like a naughty school child.

Jenna has acquired two feather boas, some rather interesting purple glasses and three head pieces. She looks like a human peacock.

We're in a huge department store, and when we realised we couldn't afford a single pair of socks (who pays $80 for those?!) we started fooling around and making fun of the, ah, more unique pieces.

God knows how much her current attire amounts to. I seem to remember a boa costing $75. Who would pay that for something you use maybe once on a birthday or hen do?? I hope to all that is holy that I never end up that flippant when it comes to money. If I had $75 to waste, I'd flipping donate it.

The security guards are giving us funny looks. One of them looks peed off, but the other is holding back a smirk - I can tell. He obviously has similar values to me.

"Excuse me." A very posh lady dressed in a very exciting all-black outfit (she even has a sleek black bob) approaches us.

"I don't know where you think you are, but you cannot prance around this store as though you're at a fancy dress party. Please remove the items or leave."

Wait, so we can KEEP the items and leave? She should have phrased that better. Her complacency in structuring a sentence would surely be a good argument when they arrest us.

I watch as Jenna removes each thing individually, and stacks them in the lady's arms. By the end of it, the pile reaches her chin. There are still the hair pieces to go.

"Hmm." Jenna contemplates something.

She had better not do what I think she's going to...

She hooks the bizarre accessories over Sleek's hands. Phew, thought she was going to destroy her hairdo.

Sleek looks very peeved off, but mutters a thank you.

As she walks off we can't help but laugh. Someone has a very big stick up their-

"Sarah! It's 2! We must EAT!!"

Right! Yes. We have to find somewhere cool and individual and indie and stuff. Because that's definitely the kind of people we are.

We manage to stumble across this cool little Eco shop that has fair trade goodies - ranging from little wooden frogs to big boxes of chocolates. I imagine SOMEONE in here will know somewhere suitable for us. No, not suitable - perfect.

The man in the store has very long hair and many, many bracelets and wrist bands. He is DEFINITELY a festival-goer.

He turns, looks at us, and says "Place called Chlo's round the corner. Excellent vegan food, great service."

What? I'm flummoxed. Is this man a psychic? I never believed in that stuff, but-

"Your bag, girl."

Oh. Right. I have about five animal-related badges on me. None of them are aggressive - I don't believe in plastering "MEAT IS MURDER" everywhere. It's too violent, and after all, I'm trying to lead a less harmful, more peaceful life. I find that if you are polite and don't force your views down people's throats, but simply live your herbivore life in front of them, they are far more likely to take an interest.

A fair few people have followed in my footsteps without me ever talking about my reasons for being vegan.

He referred to me as 'girl'. Is that offensive? Or a cool hippie New York thing to say? I SO want to say, "Bye, tall man."