Love at First Sight

"Happy birthday, my friend," you kiss the birthday celebrant on the cheek and hug her as soon as you get in her house. 

You can see a lot of people are already gathered. One person in particular catches your attention. He's leaning at the counter, looking all cool with his friends beside him. He looks up and sees you. 

You look away, a little blush on your cheeks, and follow the celebrant to the group of other girls in the living room. You sit beside another friend of yours and she immediately pours you a shot. 

"Here," she hands the glass to you. "You're late! You have to catch up with us." 

After you down the first shot, she gives you yet another one...and another. 

You feel your stomach complaining because you haven't eaten yet. You stand up and walk to the table where the food is. 

You get a plate and start filling it up with seafood. 

"Aren't you the hungry one," Mark chuckles beside you. 

"Oh." You feel embarrassed, looking down at your almost full plate. 

"Here, let me help you with it," he says, taking the plate from you. 

You walk out to the veranda and find a place where you could eat quietly. He puts down your plate on the table and grabs a chair for himself. 

"I hope you don't mind," you tell him as you have your first bite for the night. 

"By the way," he says, "I'm Mark." He reaches his hand and you shake it. 

"__________." You feel yourself blush at his stare so you look back down at your plate.

He chuckles.

"Why are you laughing?"

"It's just...you look pretty when you blush." He stares at you again.

The color on your cheeks deepen even more. 

"Everybody," your friend calls out from the living room, "gather 'round. Let's play some games."

"Shall we?" He stands up and reaches his hand to yours. You follow him in the living room with your fingers intertwined. 

All eyes look your way as they notice you and Mark holding hands. Teases from your friends make you pull your hand away from his. 

Mark sits on the arm of the chair you're in. More eyes look your way. 

The games started and you've already lost twice, making you drink two shots. On your third, Mark notices you're starting to get tipsy, he snatches the glass from you and downs it before you could even say anything. He looks at you and smirks. "I'll take this." 

Your phone rings. It's your mom. She wants you home in an hour. You look at the time and it's already past midnight. 

"I'm sorry, but I have to go," you really want to stay longer, especially that you're having fun, but your mom would cut off your allowance if you don't leave. 

"I'll take you home," Mark stands up and your friends make another teasing noise. 

Seeing you're a bit chilly, Mark puts his jacket on your shoulders and pulls you close to him as you walk down the street. 

"Thanks, Mark. But, you don't have to. I can get home on my own." 

"I just wanna make sure you get home safe." He hails a cab and the both of you ride on the backseat. 

His arm still over your shoulders, his other hand take yours. 

Your heart races faster as he rubs your arm to keep you warmer. 

"We're here," the taxi driver says...too soon. You're still enjoying the warmth of his body. 

You take off his jacket and hand it back to him. "Thank you again, Mark."

"So, .... can I ... see you again?"