Chapter Thirty-Eight

The store Billie took us to was a shoe store.

"Why are we here?" Trè asked.

"Because. I wanna see something." Billie answers.

"Oh let me guess!" Trè says enthusiastically. "Shoes?"

"Correct." Billie answers, playing along. Trè sits on a seat in the store where you would sit down to try on the shoes. Trè however sat down and slumped over like a kid that was bored in school.

"Hey Gloria, what are some shoes you've been wanting but don't have?" Billie asks.

"Um... red Converse hi-tops?" He shakes his head. "Wrong answer?" I ask him. He nods in response. "Well, I've always wanted these boots. They're called Doc Martens but they are way too expensive."

"What's the price?" Billie asks.

"Around $130." I state.

Billie shrugs his shoulder. "That's nothing. You want a pair?"

I smile. "Sure." He grabs my hand and pulls me towards the back. He walks into an aisle and searches. He looks back at me and walks towards me. He grabs my hand and pulls me back to where he was.

"See a pair that you like?"

"Yeah." I answer as I pick up an all black pair with black laces. I sit on the bench and try it on. Conveniently, they fit.

After I tried them on and walked around the aisle, Trè whined about not getting a pair. Billie promised everyone ice-cream so Trè would get something too. Then, we paid for the boots.

At the food court, Billie walked up to the cashier and waited to order.

After a minute or so, the cashier comes up. "Sorry sir, I was refilling the ice cream. What can I get you today?" She asked.

"Um, I want a strawberry milkshake, Trè wants a chocolate milkshake... Uh, so does Jakob. Joey wants a vanilla milkshake and Gloria..." He trailed off and I chimed in with my order.

"I'll have an Oreo milkshake."

"That." Billie told the cashier.

"Alright. Is that for here or to go?" She asked Billie.

"For here."

"Okay. That will be $7.23."

Billie handed her a $10 bill and she gave him the change back, along with the receipt. "It'll be just a few minutes." She tells us before going to the back of the store.

Billie and I both walk back to the table where Tre and the boys were at. I sit down and listen in on tre and Jakob's conversation.

"I have a friend at school who says they can suck fifty eggs." Jakob says.

Tre laughed. "That's not possible. No man can suck fifty eggs."

"She's a girl. My friend that's a girl said she can suck fifty eggs. She said she did it last weekend."

Tre looks at Jakob. "Kid, no one can suck fifty eggs. It's impossible."

Jakob shook his head. "Whatever." He muttered.

Billie was staring out the window, not really paying attention to anything. I poked his back and he turned around to face me.

"What?" He asked, shoving his hands into the front pockets on his black jeans.

"Nothing. You just looked like you weren't entirely here." I stated.

He nodded and said, "Yeah. I don't think I am. There's something that's coming up soon, maybe in about a month or so, and I need to get it figured out."