Chapter Twenty-Two

Slowly Dwindling
.
.
.
.

Jellal's eyes widened and he watched as a small pained smile appeared on Lucy's stoic face. Her body dropped to the side and blood immediately began pooling around her body, sinking into her clothes and dirtying her body. With a cry, the bluenette crouched down beside her and held her body in his arms, tears slipping out of his eyes. "Lucy... Lucy..." He whispered her name frantically over and over, staring into her dull and lifeless eyes, "Lucy... Lucy..."

The blonde could only stare up at the bluenette. She attempted a smile but failed when she felt the bullet in her body. With a hiss, she could only sigh, "Thank G-God... you're... alive..."

"Lucy!" Gajeel barked, his eyes wide and filled with horror. He immediately ran towards them but not before shooting at Gray who was pulled away by Minerva.

"Exactly as planned!" The purple-haired woman laughed mischievously, "I knew it! I knew she would jump in to save you!"

Gray's eyes widened and he turned to stare at Minerva in anger, "You tricked me! You were planning to kill Lucy!"

"Never trust an enemy, Fullbuster," Minerva grinned evilly and she shot his leg. The man howled in pain and he fell back to the floor, holding his bleeding leg. She grinned and watched as Lucy's gang surrounded Jellal who held their leader. Smirking, she slipped away from the scene and no one bothered to follow her.

"Shit Lucy, keep up with us," Zen said and he felt his eyes stung. He didn't think it would be this painful to see your leader bleeding and dying in front of your very own eyes, it was horrible. His chest wouldn't stop squeezing and his throat was aching.

Lucy chuckled softly but a cough of blood interrupted it, "I... I can't... want... sleep..."

"Lucy!" Jellal cried out, his eyes blurry from all of his tears. He shook her, "Come on, L-Lucy, stay awake."

"Call an ambulance!" Elie shouted and Yukino nodded, running off to get her phone.

Virgo appeared beside Lucy, holding a first aid kit. She pressed down a piece of cloth on Lucy's chest, "I'll try to stop the bleeding. Princess might die because of blood loss."

"It's... a good... thing... that Gray... missed... my heart," Lucy rasped out. She could barely keep her eyes open but she knew that Jellal was crying. She could feel his tears dropping to her cheeks and even though she didn't like seeing him cry, his tears were comforting. They made her feel like she was really loved. "Jellal..." Lucy weakly called out, her voice choking in the end, "D-Don't... cry, it's not... ma-manly..."

Jellal closed his eyes and gritted his teeth, "I d-don't care. For you, I'd spend a-a day like a girl. I-I'd waste all of m-my tears for you. I'd do anything for you. " He sniffed and he couldn't stop himself from chuckling through hiccups when tears also fell from Lucy's eyes.

"Idiot..." Lucy laughed out and blood dripped down her chin, "You're... m-making me... cry."

The bluenette whimpered and he hugged her close. Reina could feel the tears sliding down her cheeks as well. Seeing her brother cry was not normal. The last time she saw him cry was when their parents were murdered in front of them. It was a memory they promised to forget but she often had dreams about that night. To see Jellal cry was heartbreaking because she knew that he really loved Lucy.