Stupid, Unstable Paws

13: Stupid, Unstable Paws

Scarlet's POV

He fainted again, but at least I knew he was alive. I had taken him out into the woods so he could turn, if he was going to anyways. It was easier to change out here. Plus, you wouldn't look like a crazy dog running around in the house. And your father wouldn't run away from you...

Nathan laid on the ground peacefully, cooling down from the cold, fall air around him. It was nearly winter, and winter was always a sad season for me. You know, because of the fire and stuff. But with the things that Nathan had just said a few minutes ago, maybe this year's Christmas wouldn't be so sad. 

Maybe I can start over with him, this time with no sadness or guilty feelings deep inside of me. Maybe Nathan will get over his fear of wolves, because he will become one. And maybe, just maybe, he will be my mate. We'll spend the rest of our lives with our crazy history, and it would have started just when we were seven.

Though now that I think about it, this was some sad fairytale.

Just probably a month ago this boy was the most annoying thing in the world, but... he has made such an effort to be my friend, I can't hate him. In fact, I was the first one to say 'I love you'. But I'm very afraid that he doesn't love me back. Simply because... he didn't say it back.

But I don't need his love (yet). All the guilt I had, it just disappeared when he said those wonderful words. "I'll start over with you." Those words give me a chance. I gave him a chance to be my friend, and now he has given me a chance to give back his life--one that is not full of nightmares and scars. You have no idea how thankful I am right now.

This fairytale of ours seem short now that I think about it. There was this gap in our lives--the time we were apart. We were both scarred from the stupid wildfire that took place in Canada. And then--now, we meet again. Is this God's way of telling us we are meant to be?

All of these thoughts rush through my mind, and I don't know whether I'm right or wrong. But soon, if... when Nathan changes, I will know how our fairytale ends.

Nathan's POV

I was starting to itch everywhere.

But the thing was, I couldn't scratch it. It was like a scratch that was inside of me, and you can't really touch what's inside of you.

Oddly, I was conscious but unconscious. That's the only way I could describe it. I was aware that I was in the woods, and that Scarlet was the warm body I felt next to me, but I couldn't move. I wasn't in control of my body. It was. 

And it was getting goddamn annoying.

My hand started to really itch, and I wanted to scratch it so bad. And then there was this burn in my toe, and it shot all the away up to my head. Is this was changing feels like?

Soon I really did feel the change. I was sweating in the freaking cool weather, can you believe it? I could feel my heart speed, and I swear I thought I really was going to die. But no... luckily I didn't. My body began to heat up, and the burn of my body turned itchy and irritating. I couldn't do anything though, the warmth of my body kind of made me stiff. Getting really annoyed, I tried to move.

Boy did that hurt.

The first bone to crack was my fucking shin. And then the other. Being the freaking man I was, I cried out the indescribable pain, hoping I was only crying in my mind (because even Scarlet seemed manlier than me...). Soon I could feel all the bones in my body shatter into tiny little pieces, and then joining together in unusual clumps.