Junior Year

"Do I have to go?" I ask looking up at my dad from my laptop. He's making breakfast before we both have to leave. "It's not like anyone would notice I was missing anyway," I mumble finishing up my summer project, for school. I close my laptop just as dad set a plate down in front of me.

"I know you don't like it here but, you might actually get to finish school here, and yes you have to go. They're not planning on transferring anyone for a while, and on top of that we just got a new doctor today," he says as he pours some syrup on his pancakes.

My dad works for the United States government, he's a pathologist for Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, in Dayton Ohio. They tend to transfer him a lot, we formerly lived in Arizona, but then they transferred him to Montana, then it was Texas, about three transfers later we moved to Ohio, we've lived here for about five years now, but we could also be moved in a heartbeat. Which is why I never get my hopes up.

I get up and carry my already empty plate over to the sink, as I set it inside; I turn around leaning against the counter. "So your saying I might actually get to make some friends?" I question as he walks towards me. He puts the plate in the sink with mine, and he looks down at me.

"Yes, Emily you can make friends. Though I thought you had some already?" He says as he walks back over to the table grabbing his bag.

"No, I mean I've talked to some of the kids at my school, but nothing solid." I follow him to the door grabbing my bag on the way out.

"Well, what's the problem?" He asks as we walk towards his car.

"Are you seriously asking me that? Dad, I've never been able to make friends because we're always moving," I say as I open the passenger side door and climb in next to him.

"Well, I'm telling you now, that you should definitely branch out Em. Your high school career is supposed to be the best four years of your life."

After that, we sit in silence all the way to school. Pulling up to Fairborn High School I sigh not wanting to get out of the car, I look over at my dad as he plasters a fake smile on his face.

"Have a good day." He says as he leans forward kissing my forehead. Turning back to the school I open the car door and get out slowly walking up the steps. I hate this school, the only reason I go here is that it's a fifteen-minute drive for my dad.

Pulling open the door I walk inside and walk down the hall, passing kids who were hugging their friends, making, or just catching up. I look down at my schedule I was looking for locker 219.

Walking down the hall, looking for my locker. Speeding up at the sight of it, I bump into someone and trip over myself.

"Ow," I whisper as I hold my head. Sitting up I look in front of me at the other person that I had bumped into.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there. Forgive me?" A dark complected girl asks. I grab hold of her outstretched hand and stand up wiping the dust from my pants.

"It's fine, I should have been watching where I was going."

We stood there awkwardly for a minute until she held her hand out again. "I'm London Fowler."

I smile and shake her hand. "Emily Adams. You new here?" I ask her as I turn to my locker.

Standing next to me as I put my combination in she replies, "yeah, but I haven't seen you around here either."

"Well, my dad and I just got back from vacation," I say putting my books into my locker.

"Oh what about your mom?" She asks as my shoulders stiffen.